Silver Blades Ice rink

Hi does anyone remember going to the skates every saturday morning ? We always got the number 64 bus to the rink and at 10 am till 12 you could skate with all your mates ,just before 12 they cleared rink and the speed skaters came on .When we came out at 12 we used to either catch 71 bus to manor top and go to Becketts chippy or we used to go into pond street to the gallery chippy come on all you secret skaters lets here what you got up to at the silver blades

I loved going to the silver blades every Wednesday night and sometimes on a Saturday, used to wear those big black ice boots.... Turbo Bower, remember those.

I also caught the 71 bus, sometimes got off at the Manor Top and called in Becketts, they did the best chips, or stayed on bus to Prince of Wales Road and would call in Smedleys chippy.

god,them blue boots they just killed your feet ,used to have to take plasters with us for blisters .There was always some snobby sod in with perfect white skates always used to envy them ,then that cafe with its orange fonzie booths ,can still remember one of those orange table chair booth things being dumped outside for years on land at side near mcdonalds.

Went quite often during the summer of 1980. Enjoyed having a skate and a Slush Puppy but I wasn't any good.

Songs like Dance by the Lambrettas and the Korgis' Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime remind me of these times.

Life was certainly easier back then.