Silver Blades Ice rink

• 3 months later...

I worked there in the mid 60's, I was 3rd engineer, Ron was 1st, Ifzal was 2nd. I can remember the instructors and Ron the bouncer. I seemed to have problems on nights, after speed skating I had to resurface the ice & one evening the Zamboni broke down and froze solid to the ice. I had to get a sweet tempered Ron to come in & it took all night & loads of boiling water to free it. Another forgetable evening was when water started leaking from the rink ( the ice used to melt @ the entrance end of the rink ) The leaking water started dripping onto the bowling alley below. I remember they had to close some of the lanes off. I was glad to leave and get a proper job.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a student at Sheffield Uni and worked at Silver Blades Xmas 1965, started in skate hire and ended up as a redcoat; we had some great nights after the place had closed and the manager had gone home, all the staff, guys and gals, would creep up the fire stairs and get let back in by the nightwatchman - we'd play music, set up the lights and skate into the early hours and generally have a great party: anyone remember those days? I recall one of the redcoats, a weird older guy who wore hockey skates with fur trimming on the tops, got arrested for raping someone on the back stairs sometime after we left.

I know the name Roger Woffinden-he married a gorgeous girl from our office, Bernie.

I worked on the hot dog/hamburger van-a converted mini- just down the road on the roundabout on Friday evenings. Hot Dogs 1s (5p) and Hamburgers 1s 6d (7.5p) and well remember converting to decimilisation-they went up to 7p and 10p! It was a gold mine that mini (not mine though).

There were loads of accidents on the ice-not just fractures but sliced hands from when skaters fell over and someone ran over their hand.

Yes, you're right Morts - lots of cut hands and people falling into the boards: the place hadn't been open very long and very few people could skate properly: most could get going but nobody could stop.

• 11 months later...

I went to the Silver Blades ice rink all through 1965 - 1976 and would like to bring back some memories. Do you remember the girls speed, the boys speed and of course finding a lad you fancied and going on the pairs lol? Then there was the cheap nights on a Wednesday when you could get in for 30p!! Also all the snogging that went off behind the dark stage. We had some real good times as kids and teenagers down there it was a cult following. Do you remember the music skating round to the Glitter Band, Motown records and the Glam rock tunes of the 70's? :rolleyes:

I only went a couple of times but i met my ex wife there.

The song i mostly remember from Silver Blades was 'You make me feel like dancing' by Leo Sayer.

They sometimes did this figure of 8 speed thing for the experienced skaters if i remember right.

Yeah thats right they did a figure 8 speed most of the big lads took part in that, it was fantastic. Sometimes a song comes on the radio and it takes me back to the Silver Blades. :)

I used to go on a tuesday night when I was 15 (1972). Yes the snogging being the dj's box and getting of with girls. Had many good memories of the silver blades ice rink.

Happy days! :)

I was 13 then and defo down there at that time, we did use to go Tuesday if we had the money but mostly for 30p on a Wednesday and also at the weekends. I can remember walking back up to Pond Street and calling at the chippie. They used to do crinkle cut chips there very posh lol. :D Happy days that seem a life time ago eh?