Rip off prices for food and drink at football grounds.

Sheffield United lost £13.6 million last year.

Mandaric has put over £40 million in to Wednesday.

Arsenal are about the only sustainably funded Premier League club and they don't pay shareholder dividends.

Not a lot of money is going to shareholders.

Well you may be right in that maybe it's not always for shareholders. But the plain fact is, is that it's getting too damn expensive for whatever reason. Football clubs are businesses, and there to make money!

Sheffield United lost £13.6 million last year.

Mandaric has put over £40 million in to Wednesday.

Arsenal are about the only sustainably funded Premier League club and they don't pay shareholder dividends.

Not a lot of money is going to shareholders.

My bold.

Where did you get that figure?

My bold.

Where did you get that figure?

Wednesday yesterday revealed their first set of club accounts since Milan Mandaric took over the club as chairman last year.

The accounts confirmed the removal of over £41 million in debt and shows the club in a much healthier position off the pitch than they were just over a year ago.

http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=266228

Well you may be right in that maybe it's not always for shareholders. But the plain fact is, is that it's getting too damn expensive for whatever reason. Football clubs are businesses, and there to make money!

I don't think there are many football clubs making money.

The Premier League and Sky has brought in loads more money but all of it and more has gone to players and agents - and the same has happened in the lower league, although with smaller amounts of money.

It's not sustainable in the long term. My own club (Manchester City) were in peril not so long ago; as I recall from the time the sale of Shaun Wright-Phillips to Chelsea was taken because we got the cash the same day in a lump sum, which the club desperately needed. Goodness knows how things would have turned out had we not has such a valuable asset to sell (value added by the club, to be fair - he was a free transfer to us) or if the rich Russian hadn't rocked up at Chelsea. Of course we are now a subsidised club, and I accept that our non-football money screws up the market for everyone else.

I used to go to watch football and ice hockey regularly. Now I don't go to either except as an occasional treat.

The Arena doesn't allow you to take your own refreshments in and charge extortionate prices from their stands.

In the 70s my friend and I used to alternate between Bramhall Lane and Hillsborough every week as we supported different teams, now the cost is prohibitive and I personally can spend my money on better things.

Ok, I just did some maths.

Sheffield Wednesday capacity is 39,812 (according to their website.

Average crowd is 25,489 (again according to their own figures)

Rough Average ticket price is £20 (most expensive being £28 and least I think £14 for non members.

Therefore for an average match gate receipts are £509,780 (based on the above figures)

If ticket prices were reduced to an average of £12.80

The likelyhood is that they would get full houses, because it would be more affordable to more people.

But of course that would only benefit the fans and not the club!....Therein lies the problem!

To be fair you're only there a few hours, most people can usually survive without food for that length of time.

Buy food if you want it, no-one is forcing you.

It's a pity the gate price doesn't reflect the quality of football being played, I bet Wednesday would be at capacity every week if thats how the prices were done :-D

Archived