White 1960s/70s building, fulwood road?!!

felinegirl

i'm quite surprised its not listed as it is quite a landmark. I've often noticed it from across psalter lane way, but hadn't seen it up close til last sunday. its just perfect as architecture of that era goes, the way its front is on stilts so it reaches out from the hillside is fascinating. it would be a shame to let it go.

I agree, I too used to see it from Psalter lane and always thought it looked very glamourous and mediteranean in the way it stood out from the greenery of Ranmoor/Broomhill.

Tim

I stayed ther about 7 years ago, probably just before it closed. The public areas were getting very tired. We were given the penthouse at no extra cost. It was fantastic.

Huge lounge, bedroom and two bathrooms.

In the main bathroom there was a mirror, staight out of the 1960s - bubbles and go go dancers etched on to it. The view was amazing. Sheffield looked so green from up there.

This may seem an odd comparison but my dad had a radio & TV business in Sheffield in the 50s&60s. In 1965ish he brought home state of the art TV and radiogram. These were vaguely in the same design

I think it was opened in 1964 with a view to the World Cup two years later. Uruguay's recent visit to Liverpool brought back memories because when they played a 0-0 draw (with 9 men) against Germany at Hillsborough in 1966, they stayed at the Hallam Tower. On another thread, a poster was saying that he wasn't impressed but that must have been towards the end of its life.

It was very good when Trust House Forte had it in its chain. It certainly had the illuminated RAC and AA recommendations on the outside wall and after the 'Grand' bit the dust, it was the in-place to stay. It was a popular wedding banquet, companies used it for AGM's and others held interviews there. Several football teams used it, one reason being that they could just go down the road to Endcliffe Park for a morning warm-up ahead of the evening game.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived