Can Anyone Live Without Alcohol??

Originally posted by fnkysknky

How the hell can you comment when you hardly ever back up your 'facts' with sources.

Anyway rules are there to be broken...

At what point did I state ALL humans anyway?

I can comment because the 'facts' are within the thread - i.e. the many people in this thread who have no interest in alcohol.

You also implicitly said that ALL humans are attracted to mind altering drugs: "Humans are attracted to mind altering drugs, always have been and probably always will be... "

So don't bother denying it now.

Guest Terminator
Originally posted by Terminator

Certainly Mediterranean countries don't seem to have the same problems as us. I have yet to see gangs of foul-mouthed Italian or Spanish teenagers rolling about drunk and throwing up all over the place when on holiday. Perhaps their culture has something to do with it?

Admitedly, they don't help, but it happens every weekend in every town and city in Britain. Can't blame the holiday reps for that.

Originally posted by Terminator

Admitedly, they don't help, but it happens every weekend in every town and city in Britain. Can't blame the holiday reps for that.

I sense it's Ground Hog day.... ;) minus the spelling

Most European countries have far more relaxed laws and as a result have much less problems in alcohol abuse and drunkenness because you don't have to drink as fast and in large quantities just because it shuts at 11pm.

Originally posted by John

I sense it's Ground Hog day.... ;) minus the spelling

Most European countries have far more relaxed laws and as a result have much less problems in alcohol abuse and drunkenness because you don't have to drink as fast and in large quantities just because it shuts at 11pm.

So drunken louts can rule the streets all night too? Good thinking...... Not. Wouldn't work in this country due to the 'yob culture'. People would just get more drunk by drinking all the way through the night at their pub, and instead of one batch of loud thugs all on their way home at 11.10pm causing noise, littering, and urinating in the streets, residents near the pubs would have to put up with the same occurence but in several, smaller batches throughout the night.

IMO the Police should be preventing these anti social louts from ruling the streets. Not according to Blunkett though, he basically said the other week that it was nothing to do with the Police and stated that "The drinks industry must help to curb this behaviour".

I've never drunk alcohol in my life... I don't think I'm missing much.

I'm teetotal for a variety of reasons - religious and social (spending three years living next to a pub in a rough area of Liverpool, for instance)

Yes, I've seen the fights, the car crashes, the vomiting, the anti-social behaviour... I want no part of that, thanks all the same.

Originally posted by t020

So drunken louts can rule the streets all night too? Good thinking...... Not. Wouldn't work in this country due to the 'yob culture'. People would just get more drunk by drinking all the way through the night at their pub, and instead of one batch of loud thugs all on their way home at 11.10pm causing noise, littering, and urinating in the streets, residents near the pubs would have to put up with the same occurence but in several, smaller batches throughout the night.

Not at all. I think this shows a lack of understanding of how it works here and abroad. The essential point is that without the time restrictions, the "go home" will spread itself out. people won't drink any more, but they will spread it out over a longer period, and at different periods. This in turn will reduce the time pressure that causes the rowdyness that is experienced at the moment. There are many other factors, but I won't go into it here (unless pressed).

That's a very romantic view, Tony, but I don't think it will work.

I agree with t020 in that drunks will be walking the streets all night.

But why should the breweries care? It's not their problem. It's the problem of residents who are unfortunate enough to live in the vicinity of pubs.

I don't think that it's a romantic view at all Abdul. It's a view formed from owning a big bar and spending time studying the trade abroad and at home. The issue is a social one, not an industry one. By comparison to many places, we have rather weedy weak beer, but we have a culture that is about "power drinking" rather than enjoying drinking, so we still manage to get lots of disorderly drunks.

Let's also not have the other romantic idea that the UK has a solus position on street drunks, but where it is integrated into the social fabric it is not such an issue. Check out the thread for the 18th Birthday party - lots of talk about getting trashed as soon as you're old enough to go in the pub. Like a small child, telling someone that they can't have something will make them gorge when they do get it.

Taking the retrictions off drinking time will remove a lot of that pressure, but it's not the only answer for a farily complex issue.

Don't blame breweries and bar owners, because I honestly believe that there will be little if any extra spending on alchohol, but bars and pubs will have to stay open for longer - and you will understand that actually means increased costs and reduced profits. There will be no more drunks onthe streets, but they won't all be there at the same time. That has to be a better thing.

Archived