Why is coffee so expensive in the UK?

Similar to how it's marketed I guess. Even standard instant coffee that you buy from supermarkets in jars is publicised as a luxury product. Modern adverts for coffee seem to show it as part of foreplay.

They never do that with tea adverts!

Similar to how it's marketed I guess. Even standard instant coffee that you buy from supermarkets in jars is publicised as a luxury product. Modern adverts for coffee seem to show it as part of foreplay.

They never do that with tea adverts!

Oh, I'm not sure about that:)

The problem is, although most places will do free refills of coffee, few (if any) seem to want to give free refills of beer. :(

There's always "Happy Hour" generally between 4 and 5 PM. Two beers for the price of one. Get smashed early for 50 percent off

Nobody seems to complain about a 13 oz beer costing 5 dollars a glass yet 5 dollars for a gallon of petrol is considered outrageous

Paradise sometimes happens. Did a tour of the Samuel Adams Brewery in Boston. Great big pitchers of beer being passed around for us to sample with no end in sight. Everyone walking/ tottering back to the tour bus later. Fortunately the driver wasnt part of the sampling

Hmmm. I can buy Erdinger here for about $3.50 a half-liter, I can buy Erdinger in Bayern for about 70 cents a half litre, or I can get very passable (according to my friends ... and I seem to have a lot of friends at times ;)) imitation Erdinger out of the tap on the Kegerator about 9 ft behind me.

British beer (Wadsworth's ) in a couple of weeks time - when it's matured.

Well, based on where I'm from, that seems the right price :)

Did you consider the reasons it might be priced differently in other places? Different taxes, rates, rent, wages, transportation, running costs?

Or are you just miffed that it's not as cheap here.

Archived