How much to get an Engineer's Report (Broken TV)

I need to get an engineers report to prove that the TV I have had an inherent fault when I bought it.

It's out of warranty.

Anyone knows where I can get an engineer's report from and how much they are to get?

Basically it was stuck in the corner of the room for a year and hardly ever used so I'm pretty confident the TV wasn't fit for purpose.

You don't need to prove that it had a fault, just that it as one now and hasn't lasted a reasonable time.

The Sale of Goods Act

Customers' rights last for six years

The law says that a customer can approach you with a claim about an item they purchased from you for up to six years from the date of sale (five years after discovery of the problem in Scotland).

This does not mean that everything you sell has to last six years from the date of purchase! It is the time limit for the customer to make a claim about an item. During this period, you are legally required to deal with a customer who claims that their item does not conform to contract (is faulty ) and you must decide what would be the reasonable amount of time to expect the goods to last. A customer cannot hold you responsible for fair wear and tear .

The six-year period is not the same as a guarantee, but it does mean that even where the guarantee or warranty supplied with the product has ended, your customer may still have legal rights.

You don't need to prove that it had a fault, just that it as one now and hasn't lasted a reasonable time.

The Sale of Goods Act

Customers' rights last for six years

The law says that a customer can approach you with a claim about an item they purchased from you for up to six years from the date of sale (five years after discovery of the problem in Scotland).

This does not mean that everything you sell has to last six years from the date of purchase! It is the time limit for the customer to make a claim about an item. During this period, you are legally required to deal with a customer who claims that their item does not conform to contract (is faulty ) and you must decide what would be the reasonable amount of time to expect the goods to last. A customer cannot hold you responsible for fair wear and tear .

The six-year period is not the same as a guarantee, but it does mean that even where the guarantee or warranty supplied with the product has ended, your customer may still have legal rights.

If it's over 6 months old, then it is up to the customer to prove there was a fault when it was bought & it's not just down to normal wear & tear, or any damage that they've caused. Under 6 months the shop has to prove that you caused any damage, after 6 months it changes & you have to prove you didn't cause the damage.

So if the shop insists, then you would need an engineers report, but they should cover the cost if that shows that the goods were faulty when sold. *

* I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

If it's over 6 months old, then it is up to the customer to prove there was a fault when it was bought & it's not just down to normal wear & tear, or any damage that they've caused. Under 6 months the shop has to prove that you caused any damage, after 6 months it changes & you have to prove you didn't cause the damage.

So if the shop insists, then you would need an engineers report, but they should cover the cost if that shows that the goods were faulty when sold. *

* I'm not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/how-long-should-it-last/

It’s down to reasonable quality and how long an item is expected to last, it would be reasonable to expect a TV to last longer than a year, so if it fails just after the warranty expires you have reasonable grounds for a free repair, If the shop refuse just contact trading standards for advice. In my experience once you make a shop aware that you know your rights they will sort the problem.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/how-long-should-it-last/

It’s down to reasonable quality and how long an item is expected to last, it would be reasonable to expect a TV to last longer than a year, so if it fails just after the warranty expires you have reasonable grounds for a free repair, If the shop refuse just contact trading standards for advice. In my experience once you make a shop aware that you know your rights they will sort the problem.

As I said, you would usually need an engineers report to show that it wasn't reasonable quality, if it lasts longer than 6 months & then fails, if the shop are refusing to refund it without an engineers report. If that engineers report shows that there was some kind of fault when you bought it & you haven't damaged it yourself, then you can get a refund/replacement/repair (your choice).

Up to 6 months old & it's the shop's responsibility to show that you damaged it if they don't want to refund you. After 6 months you have to show some evidence to the shop that it was faulty when sold & you didn't cause the damage yourself, that would usually be an independent engineer's report, for electricals.

Archived