Turning Fresh Air and Water into Petrol. I knew it was possible!

Why? I mean seriously why does that make it a toy? Plug in and charge overnight and I have a commute of 15 miles each way to work. Such a car would be eminently feasible for me to use in everyday life. It's not of course going to be ideal if you do a long distance daily, or have to charge at your destination, but for a lot of people electric cars are very useful, apart from the high purchase cost and the battery costs.

And insurance cost! Apparently insurers don't like them because they're a hazard to pedestrians, cos you can't hear them coming, unless they make some kind of synthesised noise!

I was once on the verge of buying and electric moped, just to tootle about locally on. I could only find one single insurance company who would actually insure one. One single company in the whole of the UK! They wanted almost double the cost of buying the bike! I abandoned the idea pretty rapidly!

I didn't post the thread to have a science lesson or to debate any scientific point. I saw the article and thought it was a good idea. Simple as that. Nothing complicated or obscure.

How can you think it was a good idea without knowing something about the science behind it?

Then all I get is some BOD come on sprouting scientific principles, which I really can't be bothered with.

That's why your opinion isn't being widely applauded.

If the idea is so bad then YOU tell the company not to waste it's time in such a worthless project!

I don't think it's a complete waste of time, but it's not free energy.

Yes I have got an attitude, I don't like being the brunt of your superiority complex. I'm not pretending to be a scientist, I never have.

I don't expect to make a post and for you to come on here and ridicule me. I'm not the one doing the research.

Here's the link. You'll find the email address on the home page!

http://www.airfuelsynthesis.com/home.html

Personally I don't post my opinions about fishing or football, that's because I know nothing about them and would probably end up looking foolish.

You're not applying that principle though and then seem to get rather upset when you get corrected by someone...

Crikey. It would have to be renewable energy then! :roll:

The article implies that that would haver to be run for a day to produce a tonne of fuel (1400 litres)

A litre of fuel in energy terms is around 10 kwh so the day's production would give about 1.4 Mwh

So you're putting twice as much energy in as you are getting out...maybe worse than that..

I beleive I said that it would be good if you have electricity you cannot use. That's hardly the case in the UK though and it's hard;y the free energy panacea that the press are making it out to be.

Most of the press have got entirely the wrong end of the stick. It's entirely normal for the press to misreport anything that requires a bit of scientific knowledge though.

You can charge Li cells fairly quickly though, (sadly the main article is paywalled)

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/134635-scientists-develop-lithium-ion-battery-that-charges-120-times-faster-than-normal

That, along with a proper investment in whole actinide or even a plutonium only economy would be a much better way of dealing with things, as well as reducing roadside emissions.

And there's a lot of research going on with rapid charge/discharge batteries and to increase the energy density, but we do already have an entire petrol distribution infrastructure in place.

Archived