Turning Fresh Air and Water into Petrol. I knew it was possible!

From renewable energy?

It wastes a lot of energy no matter where it comes from.

I'm not convinced that it wastes more than producing hydrogen if we took into account the costs of retooling to a hydrogen based distribution system.

But it's definitely wasteful.

I'm afraid, yes I do get upset when someone deliberately sets out to try to make a fool of me. With a superior attitude.

There was no deliberate attempt at all. You were the one that started throwing the mud first remember. If you seriously think there was any attempt at all to make a fool of you then I fear you may be prone to overreacting.

24 hours in a day, so you're putting in 72Mwh and getting out 1.4Mwh, an amazing 2% efficiency!

Yep as I said before I ,wrongly as it appears , assumed it was 3mega watt hours..not a 3mw station running for 24 hours..the energy return can't be that bad surely..if it is why is anybody interested at all?

:confused: You need the turbines to produce the electricity to produce the "petrol from air" ....I'm not sure what you're saying..could you clarify it for me ..having a senior moment here :)

And quite rightly so, because schemes like this, and the Fischer Tropsch et al need an energy input. You can't just make it from air - you have to add in a considerable amount of energy from a power station.

EROEI

but it's a much cleaner and clearer product than petrol derived from fossil oil
But is it as energy rich as conventional fuel?

And what if this took off? What would happen if we took too much CO2 out of the atmosphere?

What caused reduction in CO2 leading to the ice ages?

There was no deliberate attempt at all. You were the one that started throwing the mud first remember. If you seriously think there was any attempt at all to make a fool of you then I fear you may be prone to overreacting.

Well, I didn't feel like I was the one who started anything. But if that's your opinion then so be it.

It's your superior attitude that grates with me I'm afraid....Like your post #101...who did you think was actually going to understand that? Evan Cavegirl asked you to speak in laymans terms.

Clash of personalities I'm afraid Obelix.

I'm not prone to everreacting. You just seem to press the wrong buttons as far as I'm concerned.

Lets not lose sleep over it though.....hey I might agree with you one day about something! :)

I wondered that!

But that's what the figures show..in simple terms..

3MW from the grid for 24 hours = 72MW

this produces approx 1400 lites of fuel

a litr of petrol is equivalent to around 10kwh

so energy in petrol produced is 10,000*1400 = 1.4 MWh

about 1.9% efficient..

Something's not right..probably my maths.. :)

It's your superior attitude that grates with me I'm afraid....Like your post #101...who did you think was actually going to understand that?

Sorry to say I did and my physics and chemistry stopped after A level...a joule is the SI unit for energy..a mole is the amount of "stuff"..all obelix was saying was how much enegry was required to produce an amount of fuel..but he was using the proper units for the calculation rather than mixing and matching..in some ways it's easier and leads to less confusion..

Archived