Turning Fresh Air and Water into Petrol. I knew it was possible!

Well, I didn't feel like I was the one who started anything. But if that's your opinion then so be it.

It's your superior attitude that grates with me I'm afraid....Like your post #101...who did you think was actually going to understand that? Evan Cavegirl asked you to speak in laymans terms.

At the very least in this thread I'd have expected Cyclone, truman, T42 and metalman to have understood it.

They make hydrogen by splitting water into its elements by electrolysis . But when you burn hydrogen and oxygen you get water back and far less energy than it took to split the water in the first place.

The same applies to reversing the burning of hydrocarbon fuel. You can make fuel but it requires many times more energy than the fuel will produce when burned. That is just basic chemistry. So whilst the process is possible it is also totally pointless unless you have free electricity to start with. Even then that electricity would be better utilized powering the grid or railways. But it allows folks to waste a day discussing something that has no relevance to our energy needs.

:confused: You need the turbines to produce the electricity to produce the "petrol from air" ....I'm not sure what you're saying..could you clarify it for me ..having a senior moment here :)

Instead of the turbines standing idle as they do when the grid can't cope, you would be making petrol, batteries can't store all the extra power, so the petrol making is a by product and a extra fuel storage.

And quite rightly so, because schemes like this, and the Fischer Tropsch et al need an energy input. You can't just make it from air - you have to add in a considerable amount of energy from a power station.

I'm sure I saw some Americans did it a few years ago using a parabolic mirror to concentrate solar energy. It wasn't on a commercial scale & that method would never work here for obvious reasons.

They make hydrogen by splitting water into its elements by electrolysis . But when you burn hydrogen and oxygen you get water back and far less energy than it took to split the water in the first place.

The same applies to reversing the burning of hydrocarbon fuel. You can make fuel but it requires many times more energy than the fuel will produce when burned. That is just basic chemistry. So whilst the process is possible it is also totally pointless unless you have free electricity to start with. Even then that electricity would be better utilized powering the grid or railways. But it allows folks to waste a day discussing something that has no relevance to our energy needs.

Have you looked at the efficiency of batteries? Their charging times? Weight/capacity? There aren't any efficient options if you want an electric car.

It's hard to make an electric car, so the energy is better converted to a chemical form, like hydrogen or hydrocarbons to make it easier to store & transport.

Trains can't replace cars. You can't easily run cars on the power grid.

It doesn't require free electricity, just that the electricity to make synthetic petrol costs less than the petrol it makes.

If we could store energy as compactly as possible, at the efficiency of or greater than pump storage systems or modern flywheels, we could make do with much, much less of our generating capacity for all our domestic, industrial and transport needs.

Energy doesn't take up much space after all. I envisage something the size of a housebrick with a couple of bus bars sticking out that could power a 3 bedroom house for a year before requiring a recharge.

Heinlein called them "Shipstones" after their inventor, a Mr Shipstone, who if memory serves never patented them so he could keep their workings a secret.

Archived