Turning Fresh Air and Water into Petrol. I knew it was possible!

Is this not going to be because disconnecting a wind turbine is the easiest of our power generators to disconnect. Both nuclear and coal require hours notice of a change in demand, and gas, while better still needs a fair bit of notice. Where as wind is just a "don't need you, pull the plug".

This is exactly the sort of place this technology will be useful for. An abundance of power which you can't quickly scale to demand, a local requirement for fuel, and all the materials you need to make it. And as you say, it's a bit tricky to get fuel to an aircraft carrier anyway.

What we don't have in this country is such a large abundance of power, and the amount of fuel the process can currently generate wouldn't even touch the sides of the nations vehicles. Various sites on the internet say we use several million litres of fuel a day, just in the UK. Being able to make 1000 litres a day is completely insignificant.

I take it you mean a 1000 tons a day?

For free energy and perpetual motion to be possible it would require the current laws to be completely wrong. And if that was the case, we would have some indication of that.

The reasons why we don't get free energy are pretty well understood. For it to suddenly be possible would require centuries of research and understanding to all be completely wrong.

And we're not talking about a "flat earth" style wrongness - that was primarily driven by assumption, and was disproved as soon as people started researching it and experimenting and they found the results did not match the hypothesis.

So if nobody bothers to research alternative ways of producing petrol...we just accept that when it runs out we're all down the river without a paddle. I'd rather someone researched the possibilities. Even if it offends current theory!

well if your so brilliant pete then it must be very easy for you to provb

I never claimed to be 'brilliant'...all I said was don't be so closed minded as to dismiss anything that doesn't conform to the currently understood theory.

What we don't have in this country is such a large abundance of power, and the amount of fuel the process can currently generate wouldn't even touch the sides of the nations vehicles. Various sites on the internet say we use several million litres of fuel a day, just in the UK. Being able to make 1000 litres a day is completely insignificant.

I'm no expert but common sense suggests we do have some excess power, hence the windmills get shut off first as they are easiest to control. And there do seem to be more and more windmills and that trende will continue under our renewable energy commitments. And we pay the windmill operators to generate energy when we want it and we pay them to turn them off when we don't. So surely it is worth exploring whether it is possible to move to a different model which instead of switching off the renewables when the grid does not require them, we switch on fuel producing units to use their excess energy. Financially we are paying whether they produce or not, so it may be a viable model?

So if nobody bothers to research alternative ways of producing petrol...we just accept that when it runs out we're all down the river without a paddle. I'd rather someone researched the possibilities. Even if it offends current theory!

I don't think it does offend currant theory, they don't expect it to be 100% efficient, all they want is to turn a renewable energy form into something that can power a car.

I'm no expert but common sense suggests we do have some excess power, hence the windmills get shut off first as they are easiest to control. And there do seem to be more and more windmills and that trende will continue under our renewable energy commitments. And we pay the windmill operators to generate energy when we want it and we pay them to turn them off when we don't. So surely it is worth exploring whether it is possible to move to a different model which instead of switching off the renewables when the grid does not require them, we switch on fuel producing units to use their excess energy. Financially we are paying whether they produce or not, so it may be a viable model?

I think the fact that off peak electricity is cheap, supports that.

I'm no expert but common sense suggests we do have some excess power, hence the windmills get shut off first as they are easiest to control.

We do have some excess power (and I've not disputed that). However, we don't have anywhere near the proportion of excess power as an idling submarine has, or anywhere near the 3GW of power this process needs.

So surely it is worth exploring whether it is possible to move to a different model which instead of switching off the renewables when the grid does not require them, we switch on fuel producing units to use their excess energy. Financially we are paying whether they produce or not, so it may be a viable model?

The point I and others are trying to make is that there are far more efficient ways of storing this excess energy for later usage already available, and there isn't enough excess energy to make it a viable proposition to replace even the UK's petrol supplies with this process.

The scientific minds on here..cannot see beyond the box that the current science dictates.

Lets all go live in a cave eh?

Look Pete..the first law is a very basic law..if it was wrong then we'd see evidence of it..please tell me you understand that at least...

I take it you mean a 1000 tons a day?

Nope from the article (which I'm sure you'e read)

"The company hopes that within two years it will build a larger, commercial-scale plant capable of producing a ton of petrol a day."

A ton of petrol relates to about 1400 litres..

We do have some excess power (and I've not disputed that). However, we don't have anywhere near the proportion of excess power as an idling submarine has, or anywhere near the 3GW of power this process needs.

The point I and others are trying to make is that there are far more efficient ways of storing this excess energy for later usage already available, and there isn't enough excess energy to make it a viable proposition to replace even the UK's petrol supplies with this process.

I think there is a bit of straw man in there in terms of the need to replace the UK's petrol supplies. If it replaced 5% or 10% for energy we are already paying to be turned off then that would surely be a step forward?

We cannot approach this from a laboratory level. We are signed up to treaties, renewables are a fact of political life so maximum energy efficiency is already out the window. Renewable energy is as it stands a massive waste of money for political ends, any way of making it less so must be vigorously researched and it has to be looked at on a long term basis. Oil will not last forever at a competitive price with synthesis. Hopefully GB is ahead of the curve with the tech when the general price point swings and in the meantime leading the world on the niche markets for this tech.

Archived