Turning Fresh Air and Water into Petrol. I knew it was possible!

Read it again Pete...

You said

"I believe you were the first with 'proper' insults in calling me a pratt!"

I said

"I've just read through - no one anywhere called you a prat until you started throwing the abuse. Perhaps you'd like to revise that?"

Ergo I was hardly first. Now since you appear to be descending even more into name calling and have abundantly no interest whatsover in debating the point I'll leave you to it.

Where did I call you a pratt or anything approaching that? Yes I called you a smart alec, or something akin....Do you not like being called a know-all or superior? Then don't try to demean others on here, and you might get a sensible debate.

If you'r moving on, then that's fine. Others can debate without being overbearingly superior!

I appreciate what your saying, and (surprisingly for some) understand. At least you don't have that holier than thou attitude!

What still puzzles me though is why bother researching, if it's clearly and patently and obviously not viable?

Anyway, I think Obelix has effectively killed the thread anyway. Maybe that was the idea!

I would imagine that this company is courting the MoD and other nation's defence companies for funding into their research and equipment. Both the US and Germany have recently produced reports that aim to define how their military will operate within a world of rising oil prices and declining resources and the UK government has consulted both oil company's and oil scientists on this matter, so the time is ripe for new technologies to be explored.

The military would be happy with fairly small scale and relatively expensive solutions, but the rest of society is unlikely to profit from these forms of technologies.

Another point worth making regards the scale of the issue. We have a limited supply of water on this planet, if we began producing this petrol from air fuel synthesis, how would that affect our fresh water supply, a supply that's already deemed to be seriously under threat due to a rising population, high polluting industries and intensive agricultural practices? I can't answer that, but perhaps someone else has better knowledge of this situation than me.

Where did I call you a pratt or anything approaching that? Yes I called you a smart alec, or something akin....Do you not like being called a know-all or superior? Then don't try to demean others on here, and you might get a sensible debate.

If you'r moving on, then that's fine. Others can debate without being overbearingly superior!

It's OK for you - he called me a stuffed puppet! :(

Most people generally don't like being abused at all. They certainly don't appreciate constant non stop abuse like I'm getting from you. I suggest you stop it.

Most people generally don't like being abused at all. They certainly don't appreciate constant non stop abuse like I'm getting from you. I suggest you stop it.

Absolutely, and that goes too for someone trying to make someone else look a fool. Glad you see my point!...Bye! :wave:

I would imagine that this company is courting the MoD and other nation's defence companies for funding into their research and equipment. Both the US and Germany have recently produced reports that aim to define how their military will operate within a world of rising oil prices and declining resources and the UK government has consulted both oil company's and oil scientists on this matter, so the time is ripe for new technologies to be explored.

The military would be happy with fairly small scale and relatively expensive solutions, but the rest of society is unlikely to profit from these forms of technologies.

Another point worth making regards the scale of the issue. We have a limited supply of water on this planet, if we began producing this petrol from air fuel synthesis, how would that affect our fresh water supply, a supply that's already deemed to be seriously under threat due to a rising population, high polluting industries and intensive agricultural practices? I can't answer that, but perhaps someone else has better knowledge of this situation than me.

Thank you Cavegirl. A sensible answer to my question. Although Alcoblog said earlier that many people over the years have been ridiculed about certain things (he gave the example of electricity, which was said to be a novelty). So who knows.

I thought I read somewhere either in the newspaper article I linked or the website for the company, that motor racing was a target too, as the fuel has very few impurities as opposed to petrol.

Lord knows what the effect of fresh water supplies might be. Didn't someone earlier say something about the Spanish using seawater to do something similar?

Lots of companies research lots of things that never become viable...at the moment this company is looking for investment so that it can continue it's work..maybe that's why it's being "bigged up" just now..

I agree it's probably in their interests to 'big it up'...it only makes sense if they're chasing funding. But surely it would never get as far as it has without there being some sort of basic science to the principle?

To completely reject out of hand as being a non-starter is surely stupidity. We'd still be living in caves if that was projected across history!

Archived