Turning Fresh Air and Water into Petrol. I knew it was possible!

I agree it's probably in their interests to 'big it up'...it only makes sense if they're chasing funding. But surely it would never get as far as it has without there being some sort of basic science to the principle?

To completely reject out of hand as being a non-starter is surely stupidity. We'd still be living in caves if that was projected across history!

No one is disputing the science bit....it's the economically viable bit that's under debate on here (I think)

No one is disputing the science bit....it's the economically viable bit that's under debate on here (I think)

Unboundless optimism cannot accomodate scientific reality. I notice that Pete is building a strawman again...

The science is well founded and not even new - the Fischer-Tropsch process has been used for a long time with say a syngas feed and water shift to make syntehtic fuels - the Germans ran a lot of things in WW2 on this. That however converted coal into liquid fuels at a considerable energy cost.

It's perfectly feasible to use this where you have massively abundent free energy - like a desert to make fuel. That of course isn't the case in the article, as it says it requires a grid connection. However as I've said all along, there are much better ways to use that energy especially if it's in the form of electric power. You could generate power in the desert, and connect it even from the Saraha to the UK grid using HVDC more efficiently than you could ship it as petrol.

The real problem though is the reporting of it - promises to solve all the worlds energy shortages etc, when quite clearly it doesnt do anything of the kind. You cannot beat the first law after all. As a solver to the worlds energy issues it falls flat on it's face at the starting blocks.

This bit seemed interesting from the Independant article,

The technology is also ideal for remote communities that have abundant sources of renewable electricity, such solar energy, wind turbines or wave energy, but little in the way of storing it,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/exclusive-pioneering-scientists-turn-fresh-air-into-petrol-in-massive-boost-in-fight-against-energy-crisis-8217382.html

Well yes. It is the economics of it. Initially they're talking about niche markets, like motor sports and perhaps far away places that have an abundance of renewable energy (sunlight for instance), where the plant doesn't need to be plugged into (or can't) the 'grid'.

What's wrong with that?..Nothing in my view. I don't see that it can be rejected as poppycock, just because they can't immediately and overnight replace petrol perse!

This bit seemed interesting from the Independant article,

The technology is also ideal for remote communities that have abundant sources of renewable electricity, such solar energy, wind turbines or wave energy, but little in the way of storing it,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/exclusive-pioneering-scientists-turn-fresh-air-into-petrol-in-massive-boost-in-fight-against-energy-crisis-8217382.html

Yes it's interesting but supplying fuel to a few islands is hardly going to solve the world's energy crisis as it says at the beginning of the piece

"A small British company has produced the first "petrol from air" using a revolutionary technology that promises to solve the energy crisis "

Well yes. It is the economics of it. Initially they're talking about niche markets, like motor sports and perhaps far away places that have an abundance of renewable energy (sunlight for instance), where the plant doesn't need to be plugged into (or can't) the 'grid'.

What's wrong with that?..Nothing in my view. I don't see that it can be rejected as poppycock, just because they can't immediately and overnight replace petrol perse!

Why spend money on new tech like that for a few islands when there are perfectly good battery systems..? Would you?

Archived