Alexander Hotel Carlisle Street East Attercliffe

iron sky

Does any remember this long gone pub which was on a corner largest building. Been told it closed in the 1970s but was not pulled down until 1995?

Have a look on 'anyone from Grimesthorpe' thread, it's been mentioned a few times. Used to go in myself, late 60's. I think the landlord was Norman Heathcote.

It was Norm and Joan who ran that, she was a hutchinson from Botham St before marriage, we used to go in there with my mate and his wife, his wife was Joan's sister, so we used to get to stay in there after closing time and have a good chin wag.

It had the nickname [the Shakers] I'm not sure whether it was from the big hammers at Firth Browns shaking the place, or the tins of rice or dried pea's that were handed out on a Saturday or Sunday night for people to accompany the juke box with the good old 60's music of the time, there is a photo of it on picturesheffield.com.

• 3 months later...

I remember the Alex, worked in rolling mill opposite for 7.5 years, of course as was usual then, break times and shift ends Alex was the place to go.

Vaguely remember Norm and Joan, the a younger couple took over, John and Linda Cooper, for a while until the demise of Firth Browns

Does any remember this long gone pub which was on a corner largeish building. Been told it closed in the 1970s but was not pulled down untill 1995?

Have sent a number of pictures to the star Retro on saturday hopeful they will publish them? the pub is one of them:D

I remember when I worked on shifts at BSC Grimesthorpe Works. We used to go into the Alex for a couple of pints and the Shaker Band was great, mostly lads from firth Browns.

They certainly livened the place up

Happy Days PopT

I remember the Alex, worked in rolling mill opposite for 7.5 years, of course as was usual then, break times and shift ends Alex was the place to go.

Vaguely remember Norm and Joan, the a younger couple took over, John and Linda Cooper, for a while until the demise of Firth Browns

I think the others from the mill spent more time than yourself in there !! :hihi::hihi: Did you know the Flanagans?