Alexander Hotel Carlisle Street East Attercliffe

iron sky

There used to be an old road that run up from just past of the Alex heading away from town, known locally as Crown Hill it was named after another pub that was on it.

There was a lane that led the recreation ground between Carlisle St & Petre St, Scott St ran behind Firth brown at the bottom of some steps My dad and family lived there from 1924 until he married and the pub was in our family until 1942 when my Nan moved to the Hallcar .My dad often told of laying out the drunks up by the steps at time called.Sadly even though I passed it often I never went in.

• 2 months later...
worked at Kaisers in the 1950,s there was a pub bang opposite I don't think it was called the alexander tho gosh quenched my thirst in there any body work at Kaisers bottom of gower street or have you all popped off

Cant recall kaisers at gower st,sanderson kaiser on newhall rd,kaiser ellisons on darnall main rd.Can only recall english steel bottom of gower st then think it was sold to forgemasters.If it was sanderson kaiser the pub would have been the forge.

worked at Kaisers in the 1950,s there was a pub bang opposite I don't think it was called the alexander tho gosh quenched my thirst in there any body work at Kaisers bottom of gower street or have you all popped off

I remember Kaysers being there and I also remember the pub but I cannot recall its name.It was at the bottom of Gower street and Carlisle street corner. On the opposite corner at the bottom of Sutherland road was another pub and that was on the opposite corner to Kaysers.

Cant recall kaisers at gower st,sanderson kaiser on newhall rd,kaiser ellisons on darnall main rd.Can only recall english steel bottom of gower st then think it was sold to forgemasters.If it was sanderson kaiser the pub would have been the forge.

Hi aye it were there my love it were on bridge it wernt on gower st itself you crossed the road English steel were nearer town there were a pub there my mate tommy owens got shot in that pub bt a Somali man

I remember Kaysers being there and I also remember the pub but I cannot recall its name.It was at the bottom of Gower street and Carlisle street corner. On the opposite corner at the bottom of Sutherland road was another pub and that was on the opposite corner to Kaysers.

The pub at the bottom of gower street/carlisle street would be the Norfolk, cant remember the name of the one opposite

spot on kidory you got it do you remember tommy owen getting killed in east house pub he also worked at kaisers

spot on kidory you got it do you remember tommy owen getting killed in east house pub he also worked at kaisers

Didn`t know Tommy Owen but the other lads who got shot were in my class at burngreave. The Mc Farlanes and Keith Ellis.

The other pub was The Carlisle,been in Ellesmere since 72 prior to that born Grimesthorpe and still cant recall Kaysers,the landlord at Carlisle was Jerry think his wife was Betty had it for years.