Atheists under attack

I thought this comment from the Scouts' spokesperson (in the article) was a bit odd:

"Furthermore, Scouting accepts that as they grow into independent adults, some young people may question or doubt the existence of God as they develop their personal spiritual understanding."

They seem to think that children automatically believe in God, but may question it as they get older.

No.

They simply imply that they (the speaker) themselves believe in the existence of a God and it is natural for other people to doubt it.

Many people simply ignore it.

The Scouts think that it is good for people to develop spiritually and so introduce the question of God to young people as part of their overall spiritual development.

An atheist technically cannot be a Scout because they have to make a promise they cannot keep and have no intention of keeping...

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Personally I was never a Scout so had no idea it was so constitutionally intertwined with religion. I suppose, as a movement, they will have to decide which is more precious to them - faith or inclusivity. Although that decision may well be made for them by law. We'll see.

No.

They simply imply that they (the speaker) themselves believe in the existence of a God and it is natural for other people to doubt it.

Many people simply ignore it.

The Scouts think that it is good for people to develop spiritually and so introduce the question of God to young people as part of their overall spiritual development.

Where do you get that from?

Can you show me some documentation with regards to this "question of God" that they "introduce" ?

Where do you get that from?

You are the one drawing mistaken implications.

The spokesman does not suggest that they believe all young people have an automatic belief in god.

Your suggestion is wrong.

Can you show me some documentation with regards to this "question of God" that they "introduce" ?

You've seen it yourself and quoted from it.

You are the one drawing mistaken implications.

The spokesman does not suggest that they believe all young people have an automatic belief in god.

Your suggestion is wrong.

You've seen it yourself and quoted from it.

I haven't quoted any question about God that the Scouts have introduced, try again.

Archived