Atheists under attack

............. To say that someone may doubt the existence of God as they grow into adults, suggests that they didn't doubt when they were younger.

It is a possibility.

It is not a catch-all, though.

It is possible (as with many children) that they have never considered the existence of a god at all.

If, as the Scouts say, they are introduced to god, prayer and worship (as they grow into adults), then it is perfectly reasonable to expect that some will doubt what they are being told.

The statement of the spokesperson does not, necessarily, mean that they think that all children believed in god initially and later have doubts.

It is a possibility.

It is not a catch-all, though.

It is heavily implied though, as they are talking about the young person and not themselves.

It is possible (as with many children) that they have never considered the existence of a god at all.

I would agree, I would go so far as to say that most or nearly all children never consider the existence of gods until the concept of gods is introduced to them.

If, as the Scouts say, they are introduced to god, prayer and worship (as they grow into adults), then it is perfectly reasonable to expect that some will doubt what they are being told.

Where do the Scouts say "they are introduced to god, prayer and worship (as they grow into adults)" ?

The statement of the spokesperson does not, necessarily, mean that they think that all children believed in god initially and later have doubts.

No but sinnce he/she is talking about the young person's beliefs and not his/her own, it is implied.

....and how do you believe that the Scouts introduce the question as to whether or not God exists? As you claimed earlier?

:hihi::hihi::hihi: This I find very true. I am a believer, I dont follow any particular church but I like old churches, the architecture, the tranquility etc. I can never understand atheists. They know for sure there is no God. I dont, I just like to think there is. Its been a comfort thru' some VERY difficult times. If I was truly atheist I wouldn't even bother to think about God at all

Put the Jehovas mob and the Islamics together with the atheists, it would be pure entertainment. :hihi:

That's a bit harsh. I don't assume all Christians are the same, nor are all atheists. Assuming that an entire massive group of individuals are all the same just because they have one or two beliefs in common is a pretty flawed philosophy. Identical twins aren't even the same and to judge them as such would be, I'm sure, very insulting.

I am an atheist yet I also enjoy the architecture and tranquillity of churches. I have come to atheism from a deeply Catholic upbringing and all of that early learning does not just evaporate once you realise that things don't fit for you. I don't believe in deities but I think about God all the time because the philosophy involved is fascinating.

I am deeply set against aggression and discrimination in the name of religion not because I am anti-religion but because I am against aggression and discrimination.

I am more than happy for people to worship (or not) in any peaceful way they so desire.

I am sure of very little because claiming you know everything about anything is a dangerous thing to do. To use a quote I have used elsewhere on this forum and others -

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Bertrand Russell

Consistent questioning of oneself is a thing to be encouraged as it combats smugness, arrogance and complacency and underpins learning, development and philosophical evolution. Therefore, atheists contemplating a god that they deny exists can be a positive thing.

This thread is called 'Atheists under attack'.It seems to me to be mostly atheists attacking anybody who believes or would like to. Sheffield was always a hotbed of militant antis when it came to religion, and I admit I was as bad as anybody about it. But my wife and I raised our kids in what is a deeply religious country among people who cared about how their neighbors were doing, and I now live in hope of an after life. If it doesn't happen I will be none the worse off. So why do so many of people on this forum have to be so insulting against folks who are minding their own business.:rant:

Mind their own business?

Name me one religion that minds its own business.

Examples; Mohammed the pineapple, condoms in Africa, same-sex marriage...

I'll leave it there. I don't want to break the internet.

Mind their own business?

Name me one religion that minds its own business.

Examples; Mohammed the pineapple, condoms in Africa, same-sex marriage...

I'll leave it there. I don't want to break the internet.

Redwhine, in this case, it does appear to be the atheist (father and son) not leaving things alone. The kid wanted to join a group which has theism as one of it's key principles, the kid couldn't make the promise, so he couldn't join.

Then it became worthy of national news :suspect:

As much as I'd like the Scouts to allow people to join without making a promise about God/s, they're perfectly entitled to their membership criteria as it stands (as far as I'm aware). Like I said earlier, it's no more discriminating than the Church saying you have to believe in God and follow Jesus' teachings in order to be a Christian.

As for the thread title, there were no atheists under attack.

Teaching about religion is not the same as teaching someone that it's true.

Children should be taught about all religions, hopefully they'll then realise that since they can't all be correct, they're probably all incorrect.

They'd never get anything else done. There's 41,000 different versions of christianity alone.

As much as I'd like the Scouts to allow people to join without making a promise about God/s, they're perfectly entitled to their membership criteria as it stands (as far as I'm aware).

...as long as they are not receiving any funding from the taxpayer.

Archived