Atheists under attack

What if the child was Buddhist ? Or what about scouts in other countries ? I'm sure any scout leader worth his salt would have sorted something out. I'm sure you have to do something similar when you join the forces - how do grown ups get on ? Is the parent making life a bit hard for little Tarquin here ? Put a wristband on, eat what you're given - you're camping, doing outdoorsy stuff and sports for heavens sake to going to an all inclusive resort. Head scout (bear grylls) eats poo amongst other things so live with a sausage sandwich !!!!!!

And on the back of all this the scout association of America has just revealed it has 14500 documents relating to covering up child abuse. Baden Powell must be spinning.

How can a person celebrate a void,a negative?While I hold with atheism its not something worthy of celebration.

Agreed, however they should teach Evolution properly in schools.

Michael Martin, a leading atheist philosopher, defines atheism entirely in terms of belief.[1] For him, negative atheism is simply the lack of theistic belief, positive atheism is the asserted disbelief in God

Richard Dawkins does not provide such a strict definition of atheism, and the fact he opposes describing a child as 'Atheist' or 'Christian'[5] suggests that he views atheism as a conscious position and thus leans towards the dictionary definition of atheism as necessarily an active disbelief.

http://www.investigatingatheism.info/definition.html

Whilst there is some disagreement between Dawkins and Martin they both assert that atheism is not a belief in nothing or void it is the active belief in the non-existence of God and a philosophy extrapolated from that position to inform interaction with the world and the universe beyond. It is a belief system.

Nice tabloid link to aid the OUTRAGE:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219513/Atheist-schoolboy-11-banned-joining-Scouts-refuses-swear-duty-God.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Seems to me like it's the kid and father with the problem.

If he doesn't believe in God, then why should it matter if he pledges allegiance to something that doesn't exist?

Because some people don't like making false promises

Why doesn't he just pay lip service?

because it would be dishonest?

Michael Martin, a leading atheist philosopher, defines atheism entirely in terms of belief.[1] For him, negative atheism is simply the lack of theistic belief, positive atheism is the asserted disbelief in God

Richard Dawkins does not provide such a strict definition of atheism, and the fact he opposes describing a child as 'Atheist' or 'Christian'[5] suggests that he views atheism as a conscious position and thus leans towards the dictionary definition of atheism as necessarily an active disbelief.

http://www.investigatingatheism.info/definition.html

Whilst there is some disagreement between Dawkins and Martin they both assert that atheism is not a belief in nothing or void it is the active belief in the non-existence of God and a philosophy extrapolated from that position to inform interaction with the world and the universe beyond. It is a belief system.

So what is somebody who has an absence of belief?

Also why is the literal translation of atheism "without belief in God" ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219513/Atheist-schoolboy-11-banned-joining-Scouts-refuses-swear-duty-God.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

If he doesn't believe in God, then why should it matter if he pledges allegiance to something that doesn't exist?

You might as well be saying this: if a woman doesn't believe in wearing a burka, then why should it matter if she is forced to wear one.

...Sadly they[atheists] spend most of their time moaning about religion and God more than a believer does!

Followed by this: Sadly, women who refuse to wear a burka spend most of their time moaning about the religious attitudes and beliefs of their oppressors. They should shut up and do as they are told.

I don't know about everybody else, but to me there's something about this statement that seems, well .... very unchristian.

I'm sure Jesus himself would object to the sectarian concept of forcing people to publicly pray to God in the manner that the scouting organisation demands.

So what is somebody who has an absence of belief?

Also why is the literal translation of atheism "without belief in God" ?

As I quoted above - Michael Martin, a leading atheist philosopher, defines atheism entirely in terms of belief.[1] For him, negative atheism is simply the lack of theistic belief, positive atheism is the asserted disbelief in God - this is not the be all and the end all, however, just an example of how it can be viewed in a more complex way.

Terms evolve from their literal initial meanings.

I only provided those quotes in an attempt to highlight that to atheists generally, myself included, it is a positive position. It carries with it celebration of the principles of rationality, reason, enlightenment etc.

Archived