Little London, Sheffield

RachyB

Hi everyone

My family (Holmes/Barton/Cutts/Shaw) lived in Little London and i'd be really interested in hearing any memories people have, or if they knew any of my relatives. My family i believe lived there 30's or 40's

My great grandma was Clara Cutts (nee Barton) she worked at Tyzacks during WW2 and my great grandad was James William Cutts (Jim) he was an air raid warden during the war after he was sent home from the fighting in France after being badly injured by a german hand grenade.

Clara's father was Joseph Barton who was a steeplejack and family legend says he had something to do with putting the vulvan staue on top of City Hall but i don't suppose theres a way to sustantiate that claim

My dad was born in little london and his godmother was clara degney, who i believe was well known there

Thanks RachyB

Edited by RachyB
Forgot family names in the title

hi. did the degneys live at number one? my other half born in 1958 has vague memory of an old womam alwas trying to give him snuff. she was bed ridden with bed in the back downstairs room. he thinks they related on his mothers side but not sure

Hi everyone

My family (Holmes/Barton/Cutts/Shaw) lived in Little London and i'd be really interested in hearing any memories people have, or if they knew any of my relatives. My family i believe lived there 30's or 40's

My great grandma was Clara Cutts (nee Barton) she worked at Tyzacks during WW2 and my great grandad was James William Cutts (Jim) he was an air raid warden during the war after he was sent home from the fighting in France after being badly injured by a german hand grenade.

Clara's father was Joseph Barton who was a steeplejack and family legend says he had something to do with putting the vulvan staue on top of City Hall but i don't suppose theres a way to sustantiate that claim

My dad was born in little london and his godmother was clara degney, who i believe was well known there

Thanks RachyB

There are no statues on top of the city hall, Rachel.

I presume you mean the wonderful statue of Vulcan, (vulvan is a bit ruder! lol) which stands on top of the town hall.

this is the statue in question:-

http://public-art.shu.ac.uk/images/02%7E2280.jpg

It was placed there in 1897 when the town hall was finished. Queen Victoria opened the Town Hall officially in May 1897.

The statue is reputed to be modelled on a soldier, a Life Guardsman.

• 4 years later...

Hello, Clara Degney was my great grandmother (my dad's grandma - her youngest son was my grandad Sid). She died in 1963 (before I was born) when her house burned down and it was on the front page of the Sheffield Star. Can I ask what your dad's name was?

RachyB's message

"My family (Holmes/Barton/Cutts/Shaw) lived in Little London and i'd be really interested in hearing any memories people have, or if they knew any of my relatives. My family i believe lived there 30's or 40's

Thanks RachyB

"

---------- Post added 10-01-2017 at 13:24 ----------

hi RachyB, he says she died in bed apparently set herself on fire by accident in the early sixties

Mrs Clara Degney was my great grandma. She died in a house fire but don't think she was bed ridden but used to sleep in the living room - think she died aged 88. She apparently would use candles at night which probably caused the fire.

It was on the front of the Sheffield Star - i've got the front page if anyone is interested.

She was a Harrison before she was married, her dad was called Benjamin Harrison and I think they lived around Little London Road and originally from the Matilda Street area in the middle of Sheffield

---------- Post added 10-01-2017 at 13:29 ----------

I'm not sure what number they lived at, i'll try and find out. I was told that Mrs Degney did a bit of everything she was like a midwife and she also "laid out" the dead, a lovely woman always helping others out

I don't know much about her in terms of her character except she was apparently a bit stubborn as she got older.

She was born in Little London Road, I think, and married John George Degney, who was from Middlesbrough but she met him when he was in the army and stationed to somewhere in or near Sheffield. They then moved to Middlesbrough but then moved back at some point. I think they had 6 surviving children - not sure of order but Ernest, Frank, Jessie, John George (jr), Irene and Sidney (the youngest, my grandad) born in between about 1903 to 1923.

I think Irene married a man called Cyril Schofield and ended up living near Hyde Park flats. I think they may have had about 11 kids. I think Ernest stayed in Sheffield and John George had three children - a daughter (name escapes me) and two sons, Micheal and Philip. Sid ended up being a billposter and managing a billposting business in Rotherham till he died in 1975.

Most importantly, I believe most of them are Blades and didn't defect to the other side :)

---------- Post added 10-01-2017 at 13:34 ----------

hi RachyB, he says she died in bed apparently set herself on fire by accident in the early sixties

Hello,

Can you tell me if this photo shows the houses where my great grandma Degney lived, on the right hand side?

Thanks

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s21199&pos=24&action=zoom&id=23692