Remember Some Of The Funny Old Vehicles?

old tup

Back in the mists of time well 50s and 60s there used to be some funny looking vehicles running around.One I remember as a kid was the 3 wheeler Scammall lorry we used to call em cuckoo wagons,don,t ask me why,they were certainly funny looking does anyone remember them?.Then in the 60s what about the Issetta bubble car with the door opening at the front,the Messershmitt which looked like an aeroplane cockpit with the passenger behind the driver and of course the Bond Bug you could buy in any colour as long as it was orange and black.Just a few of the weird and wonderful contraptions you don,t see any more,can anyone add to the collection of wonderful vehicles from times back?.:confused::loopy:

Loved the bubble cars,messershmitt and the heinkel,worth a small fortune now.So are the bond bugs,yes 99% were orange but do remember seeing a horrible lime green one once.

I remember both cars I also seem to remember seeing the green bond bug, long time ago:)

Here are a few links - let's have a good old reminisce...

The Scammell Scarab and the Bond 'Bug', and bubble cars Messerschmitt, Heinkel, Isetta and Berkeley.

Any green Bond Bugs must have been resprays as they were all orange when they left the showroom (Europa Cars in Middlewood Road sold them). Not all the "experts" in the motoring press liked them - as one noted "It scurries down the road like a demented wedge of Leicester cheese"..:)

In the world of odd two-wheel vehicles, is anyone old enough (like me) to remember the Cyclemaster? It was basically a powered wheel with a 32 cc engine that you fitted to your bike. In the 1950s my dad used to get some odd looks when he cycled into a filling station and asked for a pint of petrol..:P

The three wheelers were called Scammel Scarabs and had a automatic coupling for the trailers,the majority in Sheffield ran out of the Wicker goods station.

I worked at Firth Browns steelworks on Saville Street/Carlisle Street during the 1950/60s and Scammel Scarabs were used to transport steel between workshops at that time.

Ever since the early 60s I drove diesel engined lorries as a part of my job starting off with ex-army Bedfords with balloon tyres,now these were death traps in the rain,the wheels would lock up at 30mph when you braked,very scary and then the noise from the engine horrendous!.Next Ford Thames 4D 3tonners a lot better handling but noisy screaming engines onto BMC 3tonners still with severe noise in the cabs also.Ending up in the 21st century driving 48ton Volvo,Daf,Scania artics,you could not but be amazed at the difference from the old lorries to nowadays.They are luxurious quiet,comfortable air suspension seats,adjustable steering wheel,automatic gearboxes,night heaters I used to find driving the artics of today was as comfortable as my car which is a Merc thats how far diesel lorries of today have evolved in my opinion anyway!:cool::D

Archived