Genuine interest: Why can't iphone owners..

..just call it just a phone ?

I've seen/heard it a number of times, it's always my iphone this, my iphone that. There's even a thread recently on here "Stolen Iphone by taxi-driver"

Why is it that they feel this compeling need to identify it immediately as an iphone as though the ghost of Steve Jobs will come and suck their soul out and damn them to hell if they call it just a phone?

Not once have I seen/heard any other person with another phone model ever do this, excluding threads/discussions about different phones.

My phone is just that a phone. I don't go around saying "well my Samsung Galaxy this & that". If I were unfortunate to have it stolen I wouldn't post a thread "Samsung Galaxy stolen by *insert public service individual*, I'd say "Phone stolen by *insert public service individual*

I'm not taking the preverbial, it's a genuine question.

P.S Currently 'training' my friends to call it just a phone. Everytime they call it iphone without someone asking them what specific phone it is, £1 in a "douchebag" jar.

Because it is so much more than a phone.

I use my iphone for all sorts of things:D

So do I, still call it a phone, despite it being more of a PDA, portable email client & social media hub.

In fact there's nothing an iphone can do that mine can't. Apart from rape my wallet and connect to itunes.

Well why not? It describes exctly what it is.

If I misplaced my iPhone 4S in the office, at least people would know what what to keep an eye out for. If I lost a Nokia PLG4406XPT or whatever, they wouldn't have the faintest idea what I was talking about.

Don't understand the fuss. Why get so upset about a product that you don't and never will have any intention of owning?

As for raping your wallet... Samsung Galaxy £499 on Carphone Warehouse, iPhone 5 £529 on Apple's site. Both without a contract. Not a lot of difference really.

Well why not? It describes exctly what it is.

If I misplaced my iPhone 4S in the office, at least people would know what what to keep an eye out for. If I lost a Nokia PLG4406XPT or whatever, they wouldn't have the faintest idea what I was talking about.

Don't understand the fuss. Why get so upset about a product that you don't and never will have any intention of owning?

As for raping your wallet... Samsung Galaxy £499, iPhone 5 £529 on Apple's site. Both without a contract. Not a lot of difference really.

I'd say 'I've lost my mobile....anyone seen it?' because I'd assume that there wouldn't be hundreds of lost mobiles all over the place.

It's not much different from wearing (perceived) visible wealth is it, ie a stone island jacket etc, just that this is purveyed vocally rather than visually.

Each to their own eh, mines just my mobile.

It is rather shallow though but neh mind, you don't have to let it irritate you. :)

..just call it just a phone ?

I've seen/heard it a number of times, it's always my iphone this, my iphone that. There's even a thread recently on here "Stolen Iphone by taxi-driver"

Why is it that they feel this compeling need to identify it immediately as an iphone as though the ghost of Steve Jobs will come and suck their soul out and damn them to hell if they call it just a phone?

Not once have I seen/heard any other person with another phone model ever do this, excluding threads/discussions about different phones.

My phone is just that a phone. I don't go around saying "well my Samsung Galaxy this & that". If I were unfortunate to have it stolen I wouldn't post a thread "Samsung Galaxy stolen by *insert public service individual*, I'd say "Phone stolen by *insert public service individual*

I'm not taking the preverbial, it's a genuine question.

P.S Currently 'training' my friends to call it just a phone. Everytime they call it iphone without someone asking them what specific phone it is, £1 in a "douchebag" jar.

Maybe they do it for the same reasons that people use their Hoover to clean their house or they stick things down with some Selotape. Outside the fanboy world I don't really see what the issue is.

Archived