Employment Help - Boss trying to cut pay without agreement

Hi

So a friend of mine is hourly paid and and his boss is trying to cut his hourly rate for going part time.

In this business there's no difference in whether you work part-time or full (I used to work for the same company)

Now is this legal if my friend doesn't agree?

Hi

So a friend of mine is hourly paid and and his boss is trying to cut his hourly rate for going part time.

In this business there's no difference in whether you work part-time or full (I used to work for the same company)

If he is going part time presumably he has agreed to a change in his contract and terms of employment

If he is going part time presumably he has agreed to a change in his contract and terms of employment

He's already part time, has been for about 6 weeks. The going part-time is the boss's "reason".

There's officially no contract.

Assuming they have worked there for some months, there is a "contract" even if not written.

They need to be careful. The boss may claim that they agreed the change of rate when they agreed the change of hours.

Have they been paid at the higher rate already for the Part-Time work?

Acas Helpline on 08457 474747

http://www.acas.org.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=316&p=0

Assuming they have worked there for some months, there is a "contract" even if not written.

They need to be careful. The boss may claim that they agreed the change of rate when they agreed the change of hours.

Have they been paid at the higher rate already for the Part-Time work?

Acas Helpline on 08457 474747

http://www.acas.org.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=316&p=0

He previously was full-time for about 8 years with no break in his employment and he's been paid the same rate as that for the last 6 weeks. It's only this week that the boss has wanted to do this.

If he's been that long then he's entitled to a written contract. If he's already been paid at that rate for 6 weeks then that's at least one monthly pay packet, and obviously more if he's paid weekly. I'd say that the employer has accepted the contract at the existing rate and cannot unilaterally force a wage cut onto your mate.

If it's going to get messy though he needs advice, and ACAS is probably a good place to start.

Hi

Has he asked his boss why?

If he's been that long then he's entitled to a written contract. If he's already been paid at that rate for 6 weeks then that's at least one monthly pay packet, and obviously more if he's paid weekly. I'd say that the employer has accepted the contract at the existing rate and cannot unilaterally force a wage cut onto your mate.

If it's going to get messy though he needs advice, and ACAS is probably a good place to start.

Paid every fortnight so that'll be 3 paydays.

I've forwarded all this on to him. TBH I'm not surprised. I used to work for the same company and the number of times this guy tried to pull stunts, cutting corners on safety, work conditions etc are excessive. What makes it worse is that it's a franchise but HQ won't get involved.

Can't really say anymore than that without getting into the realm of libel etc.

Archived