Another mess they got us into

Yeah [sigh] there are net gainers and net losers. So? You're still not explaining why you think this means we should be somehow be deferentially thankful to higher tax payers.

I didn't say we should be, all I did was highlight the fact that not all tax payers subsidise the people on low wages. We could just as easily increase the minimum wage, of course this would increase the private sector over heads and reduce the tax take from employers, it would also increase the governments costs and make our companies less competitive globally. I imagine the everyday things you buy would also increase in price to compensate for the higher wages.

I didn't say we should be, all I did was highlight the fact that not all tax payers subsidise the people on low wages. We could just as easily increase the minimum wage, of course this would increase the private sector over heads and reduce the tax take from employers, it would also increase the governments costs and make our companies less competitive globally. I imagine the everyday things you buy would also increase in price to compensate for the higher wages.

Good.

My point about the minimum wage is that it isn't high enough in the present climate. It can't be because it's not a living wage. It needs to be topped up with credits for a lot of people who are on it.

The question is how do we make it a living wage and the answer IMO is not to increase it but rather to control the costs of living. I highlighted two areas above where people are paying too much: housing and fuel. A moderate fall in both costs and the minimum wage starts to look like a living wage.

High house prices, high rents and limited housing supply are all a drag on the economy. They divert what would otherwise be disposable income to meeting housing costs. They limit the effective re-distribution of the workforce. They pump up benefit costs. The sooner the issue is brought under control the better. High fuel costs just add to the problem.

Yeah [sigh] there are net gainers and net losers. So? You're still not explaining why you think this means we should be somehow be deferentially thankful to higher tax payers.

Do you think that Sheffield gets out what it puts in? do you think that you personally get out of life what you put in??

No and no.

Do you think that Sheffield gets out what it puts in? do you think that you personally get out of life what you put in??

No and no.

It's not about balancing returns against what is put in. That doesn't work on any level, whether you are looking at an individual or a city or whatever. The system just does not work like that.

Good.

My point about the minimum wage is that it isn't high enough in the present climate. It can't be because it's not a living wage. It needs to be topped up with credits for a lot of people who are on it.

The question is how do we make it a living wage and the answer IMO is not to increase it but rather to control the costs of living. I highlighted two areas above where people are paying too much: housing and fuel. A moderate fall in both costs and the minimum wage starts to look like a living wage.

High house prices, high rents and limited housing supply are all a drag on the economy. They divert what would otherwise be disposable income to meeting housing costs. They limit the effective re-distribution of the workforce. They pump up benefit costs. The sooner the issue is brought under control the better. High fuel costs just add to the problem.

Good post, energy companies are basically racketeering IMO and housing wipes out most of ones income. The government could help by lowering tax on petrol and diesel which historically has accounted for anything from two thirds to three quarters of the pump price - this would likely bring down inflation as cost of goods come down too.

It's not about balancing returns against what is put in. That doesn't work on any level, whether you are looking at an individual or a city or whatever. The system just does not work like that.

You're right, thankfully, for Sheffield, and for you, it doesn't; many think it should, to concentrate the minds of the feckless a bit.

Archived