The times of your life...

They sent him home from the emergency dept. of the hospital with a packet of pain killers you could buy over the counter at any chemist. Three days later we took him back. They said they couldn't do any more for him. On his way out, clutching a packet of diazopam, he vomited in the bushes.

That night he woke up screaming in pain and for the first time in my life I experienced true fear. It's a horrible feeling, difficult to put into words. I honestly thought our boy was going to die that night.

In a state of panic at 3 am we took him to another hospital who ran their own series of tests. A surgeon was explaining to us how the tests had revealed nothing when a nurse approached carrying a bottle of greeny-brown, putrid smelling liquid. Our 20 year old son had just vomited his own faeces.

That night they took from him half a metre of bowel and a tumor the size of a grapefruit, in exchange for a 15" wound and a colostomy bag. It could have been the worst time ever for us were it not for the skill and determination of two surgeons, Dr Lamont and Dr Dupont who saved our boys life.

Thank you draggletail. That all happened 12 years ago, 4 weeks ago he had a 10 hour operation to reverse the colostomy and connect his bowel up. Another miracle of modern medicine! He's now 32 and doing OK.

Here's hoping you get some 'good times' experiences. :):)

Thank you draggletail. That all happened 12 years ago, 4 weeks ago he had a 10 hour operation to reverse the colostomy and connect his bowel up. Another miracle of modern medicine! He's now 32 and doing OK.

Here's hoping you get some 'good times' experiences. :):)

Ah, I'm having them thanks, they're age four and seven, keep me busy and make me smile and feel happy.

I did have some 'wilderness years' a long time ago though.

All in the past now :)

Currently going through one of the best AND worst times. My brother has an agressive form of cancer BUT we were told a few days ago that his tumour markers are very nearly back to normal :) My brother then decided that this would be the time to get an infection from an abscess, and a blood clot in his arm, plus a fit on the morning of the op to drain and remove the abscess (typical bloke hehe). I think the main thing is to find a positive in every negative; his remaining chemo has to be delayed until the infection has gone, but his markers have come down. The blood clot is being shrunk by daily injections. The fit was a culmination of stress and nothing to worry about. He's finally found an anti-sickness medication that works and is enjoying his food again. Overall, we're in a pretty good position just now :)

The ultimate good time in my life was my daughter being born, without a doubt :)

Mid to late 20's was one of the best periods for me.

I'd got my independence and a bit of money on the hip. My own house and car and no responsibilities - except to myself. I was very fit back then too. I could go where I liked, with whoever I liked and pretty much do as I wanted. I couldn't imagine it being much better.

But it's actually even better now. I have not so much independence, a bit less money, a shared house and loads of responsibilities to myself and others. I'm not as fit as I was, but still quite fit. And I can't really go where I like with whoever I like and do as I want. But being a husband and father is the best thing of all!

Archived