Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

Still no receipt or replies to my telephone requests.

My degree is not Law but Jeff Shaw might be able to correct 

me if I'm wrong...if I take money off someone and promise to 

give something in return and do not hand over the promised item

is this not tantamount to theft? I even provided a self addressed 

envelope with a first class stamp!! 

On 09/06/2022 at 17:25, Jeffrey Shaw said:

See most of previous posts! Coppen might reply and issue a receipt- but I don't think it especially likely.

Don't waste your time/money on SAE or telephone calls.

Onn the other hand, a cleared cheque is evidence of payment.

Honesty,decency,good manners or better still the receipt I paid

for. 

3 hours ago, geared said:

You've got your answer already, why are you bothered?

A cleared cheque is evidence of payment, job done.

18 hours ago, geared said:

Unlikely given their track record.

Take it as a sign, the first opportunity you get to purchase the freehold reversion you should be doing so.

Many thanks for your input, I have made our RTMC  aware of the comments/ advice from Jim Shaw and yourself. I should get an invoice from Coppen towards the end of December when my next ground rent is due to be paid. If I do get my receipt in the interim I will acknowledge it here on the Forum. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,  not sure if I should start another thread or post here, so apologies if I’ve come to the wrong place…. I have a lease hold property with coppens and part of the agreement is taking out house insurance with royal sun alliance, they have sent me a letter saying they no longer provide this type of insurance…. But they are able to provide insurance with another company and it will be underwritten by RSA.  I’ve tried to get in touch with coppens, left messages and sent a letter with self addressed envelope but no contact.  Does anyone else have the same problem, has anyone been able to resolve it?  It’s coming up to the date I really need to buy insurance but I don’t want to invalidate my leasehold… thanks

On 11/06/2022 at 11:27, FilJay* said:

Thanks,my bank statement is proof that I have paid. Took two and a half years for

them to send the invoice due to Covid and a change of Management Company. 

Fortunately I made a copy of the invoice/ statement. I will take your advice and

will decline the invitation to send a stamped self  addressed envelope and fee 

in order to get a receipt in future. ANOTHER PENSIONER MUGGED!!

Not really, when the next bill comes pay it a fiver short.

4 hours ago, Sunny1700 said:

Hi all,  not sure if I should start another thread or post here, so apologies if I’ve come to the wrong place…. I have a lease hold property with coppens and part of the agreement is taking out house insurance with royal sun alliance, they have sent me a letter saying they no longer provide this type of insurance…. But they are able to provide insurance with another company and it will be underwritten by RSA.  I’ve tried to get in touch with coppens, left messages and sent a letter with self addressed envelope but no contact.  Does anyone else have the same problem, has anyone been able to resolve it?  It’s coming up to the date I really need to buy insurance but I don’t want to invalidate my leasehold… thanks

1. Read your lease. It might or might not allow L (Coppen) to dictate property insurance.

2. NB: Coppen will not necessarily have read it before demanding.

3. On  many recent occasions, Coppen says that it does not have the counterpart Lease.

4. There's little or no point trying to make direct contact.

5. IF the lease does allow L (Coppen) to dictate property insurance, escape that by either:

a. serving an annual s.164 Notice; or

b. buying the freehold reversion.

On 02/08/2022 at 12:49, Sunny1700 said:

Hi, my daughter's property is with this landlord. They stalled her purchase by about 4 months incidentally, I worry about when she sells, anyway, she has already paid upfront for a year her lease plus the £45 they charge.

She went ahead and bought the insurance she could afford, they have never asked to see the policy (which begs the question why do we have to pay this for 'checking')  I would buy what you want Insurance can be shopped around for this is like going back a step to when mortgage providers insisted you had theirs. 

Apologies, I meant Jeffrey Shaw.  I have family in Sheffield who are

also my Attorneys and they will try to visit Coppen on my behalf. 

Our RTMC chairman now has an account number and sort code for 

Coppen and I will be happy to pay my Ground Rent by standing order but 

only if we can speak to or meet someone from Coppen Estates! 

Edited by FilJay*
Spelling