Coppen Estates. . . .Sheffield

• 2 weeks later...

My latest bill just dropped, minus any insurance admin changes since following Jeffrey's advice a few years ago (thank you!), but the past couple of years I'd had it emailed to me, with the option of a bank transfer, this year we've gone back to letters and cheques only? I've tried phoning and emailing but obviously not expecting any response. Do we think it's safe to just send a bank transfer as per previous years?

A additional query, I would LOVE to be free of the hassle and worry should we ever come to sell the house, but I have a couple of concerns...

- The previous house (lease) owner extended the lease already in 2012. I read earlier it cannot be extended again, is that so? Are we forced into buying the freehold reversion or losing massive value in the house?

- The extension only added 25 years and now the lease has 106 years left. With a rent upped from £30 to £135, that seems to make it an expensive job to buy the FR. Am I right in thinking this gives estimated costs of around £5-6k in total?

• 2 weeks later...

1. The Leasehold Reform Act 1967 gives the tenant (leaseholder) of a house the right- after two years' ownership- either:

a. to buy the freehold reversion; or

b. to extend the lease by 50yrs.

2. So your predecessor's lease extension, adding only 25yrs., was not a statutory extension at all.

3. So nor does s.16(1)(b) of the Act, which prohibits a second statutory lease extension.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I posted in this thread many years ago. My mother deals with a similar company in the Manchester area, Compton, and I have previously submitted s164 notices for the last 5 years. Unfortunately, this year I was not in the country and my mother, in my absence, forgot to send the s164 notice on the renewal date (1st April). I'm looking at the s164 legislation:

(3)To satisfy this subsection the tenant—

(a)must have given a notice of cover to the landlord before the end of the period of fourteen days beginning with the relevant date, and

(4)For the purposes of subsection (3)—

(a)if the policy has not been renewed the relevant date is the day on which it took effect and if it has been renewed it is the day from which it was last renewed, and

So, the relevant date is the renewal date or the date the policy took effect. Unfortunately, we are already 14 days past the renewal date. However, can I cancel the current policy that is in effect with the insurer that renewed on April 1st, take out a new policy and then submit a s164 notice for this new policy to the freeholder?

Yes, I the insurer will charge a cancellation fee. But, (i) this will only be a fraction of the policy cost and (ii) I'd rather pay the insurer because at least they provide a service.  However, it seems odd to me that nobody seems to have mentioned this strategy in the past, so am I incorrect?

• 2 months later...

Coppen leasehold and government insulation scheme

We've been told that we qualify for the free government cavity wall insulation scheme, but then came up against the fact that our property is leasehold and Coppen hold the freehold. I'm assuming that this is a dead end - if we tried to contact Coppen about it a) we'd never ever get a response or b) they'd charge us loadsamoney for permission to have it done?

Anyone else been in this situation?

Apologies if this is already dealt with, I'm not sure how to search the thread.

On 17/07/2024 at 17:41, Melly07 said:

if we tried to contact Coppen about it a) we'd never ever get a response or b) they'd charge us loadsamoney for permission to have it done?

Yes. But you do not need to contact it unless the works would be in breach of covenant. So don't.

• 2 months later...

Hi there, 

We’re looking for some advice on how to proceed with changing the use of our detached garage. The freehold is currently owned by Coppen Estates. We would like to convert 2/3 of the garage for business use to a music teaching room. This would not involve any extension to the existing garage. We are aware that we would have to apply to the council for change of use/permissions etc. but we don’t know if we would need permission from Coppen Estates or if it is even allowed under our lease. Can anyone please advise? Or say what they’ve done in a similar situation? Would it be advisable to purchase the freehold from Coppen Estates so that we don’t have to seek consent?  Thanks in advance!