Is university education for women destroying society as we know it?

The number of female students has more than doubled in 20 years.

Women who don't go to university are having children at much the same age as their mothers and grandmothers did. Sheffield University professor Danny Dorling, who compiled the research, said: 'Society has split into two groups'. If phenomenon continues, grandparents may not have their first grandchildren until the age of 70.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2220918/Women-graduates-wait-hit-35-having-child.html#ixzz29xVgVq1V

University educated women are drastically delaying childbirth! They are leaving it so long that they sometimes become infertile!

Although life expectancy is increasing, women who delay childbirth are at a higher risk of birth abnormalities, are more dependent on IVF and cannot draw on the same energy reserves as younger mothers.

Leaving it late means that many cannot conceive naturally, and those that do face the increased likelihood of having children with birth defects.

The consequences of these changes will have a massive effect upon society.

UK society is already suffering from the worst BABY BUST in its history. For over 41 years now the birth rate has been below the replacement level required to keep a population stable (assuming no net migration).

People born here are effectively dying out.

Something must be done to tackle this madness. We need to have children so that we can pass on the burden of the national debt rather than dealing with it ourselves. We need more future taxpayers to be born so that we can look after the increasing amounts of elderly people and pay for their pensions.

Perhaps we should write of entirely the student debt of young people who have 2 children before they hit 35?

What do you think?

UK society is already suffering from the worst BABY BUST in its history. For over 41 years now the birth rate has been below the replacement level required to keep a population stable (assuming no net migration).

Why are you assuming 'no net migration?' - There is net migration - lots of it. In 1971, the population of the UK was 55.9 million.

In 2012 it was 62.64 million.

I don't think you'll be running out of people anytime soon.

People born here are effectively dying out.

Something must be done to tackle this madness. We need to have children so that we can pass on the burden of the national debt rather than dealing with it ourselves. We need more future taxpayers to be born so that we can look after the increasing amounts of elderly people and pay for their pensions.

Perhaps we should write of entirely the student debt of young people who have 2 children before they hit 35?

What do you think?

People born in the UK are indeed dying. Just as people born anywhere else in the world are dying. (People do that, you know. ;))

The number of people in the UK is increasing - so the number of potential taxpayers is increasing.

...Or are you suggesting that the number of productive individuals who contribute to the economy is decreasing?

Why are you assuming 'no net migration?' - There is net migration - lots of it. In 1971, the population of the UK was 55.9 million.

In 2012 it was 62.64 million.

The number of people in the UK is increasing - so the number of potential taxpayers is increasing.

...Or are you suggesting that the number of productive individuals who contribute to the economy is decreasing?

That's all true Rupert but your last sentence holds the key, the population may well increase but it's the age distribution that will create massive socio-economic problems in the years to come as the population will become 'over weighted' towards people who are retired, living longer and in need of health care and social support.

Good old Mail.

People are having babies later because they want to get a house first, and a decent job, so they can afford children. I was 35 when my daughter was born, because that's when we were ready to have kids, and we were well off enough to be able to afford the time off work and the cost thereafter.

It's not uni that's caused it, it's just the way society is changing.

Most 28 year olds don't own their own home I suspect. I did 10 years ago, but things have changed.

Good old Mail.

People are having babies later because they want to get a house first, and a decent job, so they can afford children. I was 35 when my daughter was born, because that's when we were ready to have kids, and we were well off enough to be able to afford the time off work and the cost thereafter.

It's not uni that's caused it, it's just the way society is changing.

Most 28 year olds don't own their own home I suspect. I did 10 years ago, but things have changed.

I can't believe you have just turned this into a housing thread! :hihi: