Mass shooting at an America shopping mall

Dreadful, the second in Wisconsin this year. Surely the argument that the right to bear arms is coming apart. You never hear of these nutters being stopped by a member of the general public with a gun.

I was watching a show the other day about the laws on guns in usa, and the right to defend yourself which has been introduced for right to bear arms if you feel in danger, some guy rang the police to alert them about their neighbours house being broken into, a robbery was taking place to which he asked the police on the phone if he should go outside and stop them with his shotgun.

The police on the phone said 'no do not go outside and definately not with your gun nobody needs to die for a tv' the guy just ignored the police on the phone took his shotgun outside and shot both men in cold blood even though he was told not to intervene by the police.

That man should have been locked up for murder in my opinion, he completely disregarded the advice of the police and took up vigilante justice, in what universe is people carrying guns and shooting each other dead a good idea ???

possessions can be replaced a life can not.

For me the issue is that that it's a lot more easier for a disaffected individual to do some serious damage in a country where there are firearms freely available. The incident in Cardiff is the perfect example, how many more people would be dead in Cardiff if that bloke had access to firearms?

USA homicide figures by firearm for 2006 are 4.14 per 100,000 of population (from the CDC)

UK homicide figures by firearm for 2006 are 0.10 per 100,000 of population (from the Home Office)

So pleased I live in the UK.

Depends how you define "mass"..what about Raul Moat in the Northeast in 2010 as well?

I did think about the Raul Moat incident but I personally don't think it can be classed as a mass shooting in the same sense as the shootings in Cumbria, Dunblane and Hungerford.

I was watching a show the other day about the laws on guns in usa, and the right to defend yourself which has been introduced for right to bear arms if you feel in danger, some guy rang the police to alert them about their neighbours house being broken into, a robbery was taking place to which he asked the police on the phone if he should go outside and stop them with his shotgun.

The police on the phone said 'no do not go outside and definately not with your gun nobody needs to die for a tv' the guy just ignored the police on the phone took his shotgun outside and shot both men in cold blood even though he was told not to intervene by the police.

That man should have been locked up for murder in my opinion, he completely disregarded the advice of the police and took up vigilante justice, in what universe is people carrying guns and shooting each other dead a good idea ???

possessions can be replaced a life can not.

I watched the same program, there was absolutely no need for that man to go outside and was most likely in no danger what so ever had he listerned to what the police told him to do and stay indoors. As you say, he totally ignored police telling him to stay indoors and instead decided to go outside and play judge, jury and executioner.

So pleased I live in the UK.

That doesnt mean the UK is safer than the USA - just that we don't kill people with guns. I don;t have the overall homicide figures handy but the gap is a lot narrower than that, although I still think the UK is a considerably safer place to live from that respect.

Archived