Mass shooting at an America shopping mall

That doesnt mean the UK is safer than the USA - just that we don't kill people with guns. I don;t have the overall homicide figures handy but the gap is a lot narrower than that, although I still think the UK is a considerably safer place to live from that respect.

4.8 homicides per 100,000 in the USA

&

1.13 homicides per 100,000 in the UK

USA homicide figures by firearm for 2006 are 4.14 per 100,000 of population (from the CDC)

UK homicide figures by firearm for 2006 are 0.10 per 100,000 of population (from the Home Office)

The CDC note that "... the rate of firearm homicides [is] higher in inner cities than in other parts of cities and higher than the murder rate of the country as a whole ... People living in 50 of the largest cities, in fact, accounted for 67% of all firearm homicides."

The risk level - and the homicide rate - varies with where you live.

Most people support a complete ban on assault type weapons including Obama and that makes complete sense since why anybody wants an AR-15 for instance is beyond me.

I'm not for gun control, just for controlling some kinds of weapons as above

Most people support a complete ban on assault type weapons including Obama and that makes complete sense since why anybody wants an AR-15 for instance is beyond me.

I'm not for gun control, just for controlling some kinds of weapons as above

If there was a similar control in the 'states to the one we have in the UK do you think things would get better or worse....?

The CDC note that "... the rate of firearm homicides [is] higher in inner cities than in other parts of cities and higher than the murder rate of the country as a whole ... People living in 50 of the largest cities, in fact, accounted for 67% of all firearm homicides."

The risk level - and the homicide rate - varies with where you live.

Well clearly - I expect that to be the same in the UK and more or less any other place TBH - most people live in cities and most murders will occur in the more deprived parts of those cities.

If there was a similar control in the 'states to the one we have in the UK do you think things would get better or worse....?

If the day ever came that Congress or the Supreme Court tried to overturn the 2nd Amendment (which would never happen of course since the NRA and a huge number of politicians both at Federal and State level plus enough lawyers to fill a football stadium plus a few billion dollars plus millions of taxpayers and voters and perhaps even the American Civil Liberties Union would make sure it wouldnt) but for arguments sake if it did happen then I would see at least around 75 percent of the law abiding population not turning in their weapons which neither the law or anyone else could do anything about and zero percent of the criminal element handing theirs in (even if they were granted an amnesty for owning an ilegally purchased weapon). In other words civil disobedience on a massive scale

If every gun store in the US was closed down and the stock confiscated then it would be an exercise in futility since weapons would be brought into the country illegally on a huge scale from south of the border and there is no way that with a border several thousand miles in length both north and south that any meaningful control would work. Too much big money to be made.

Gun crime would continue on the same level or even worse So that's my opinion for what it's worth

Archived