Jeans that clean the air technology developed at University of Sheffield!

Interesting read. I must be thinking of a different scheme then to regenerate it back to N2/O2

Nice thing about TiO2 is it's rather safe so you can just coat things with it - after all it's been in white emulsion for decades now.

I remember working near the tioxide plant in Grimsby a few years ago..there was a lot of it about..

Strikes me that the idea of painting it onto buildings would give you much more surface area and sunlight exposure than washing it into some pairs of jeans.

Good that you have decided to comment on the article itself rather than indulge in pedantry. I think in the atricle which appeared in todays Observer, which I don't have in front of me and isn't featured in the online version, It does say that adding the chemical to clothing especially denim, is the most effective way for it work as it as the way it is absorbed into the denim means that it covers a larger surface area for a given volume than by painting it on buildings. But if the chemical is so cheap and effective why not do both, maybe it could added to the wax at car washers also!

Good that you have decided to comment on the article itself rather than indulge in pedantry. I think in the atricle which appeared in todays Observer, which I don't have in front of me and isn't featured in the online version, It does say that adding the chemical to clothing especially denim, is the most effective way for it work as it as the way it is absorbed into the denim means that it covers a larger surface area for a given volume than by painting it on buildings. But if the chemical is so cheap and effective why not do both, maybe it could added to the wax at car washers also!

Or paint cars with it for some poetic justice

Fantastic to read such technology being developed in Sheffield, this is the kind of stuff Made In Sheffield is all about now.

It would be interesting to hear how they could make it commercially viable. It would cost money to produce, add it in to existing production lines, integrate and blend with existing products etc but crucially probably of little extra benefit to the kind of product they would be adding it to.

If it's a one time treatment, will manufacturers treat their garments with it if it won't make them softer, or more durable? If it's to be added to wash liquids, will it enhance the cleaning or softening properties, or make clothes smell nicer? These are the things that will decide if it can be a commercial success.

Perhaps governments could give some kind of tax rebate to companies that add it to their products by way of encouraging take up.

Fantastic to read such technology being developed in Sheffield, this is the kind of stuff Made In Sheffield is all about now.

It would be interesting to hear how they could make it commercially viable. It would cost money to produce, add it in to existing production lines, integrate and blend with existing products etc but crucially probably of little extra benefit to the kind of product they would be adding it to.

If it's a one time treatment, will manufacturers treat their garments with it if it won't make them softer, or more durable? If it's to be added to wash liquids, will it enhance the cleaning or softening properties, or make clothes smell nicer? These are the things that will decide if it can be a commercial success.

Perhaps governments could give some kind of tax rebate to companies that add it to their products by way of encouraging take up.

As far as I have read, the clothes are unaffected by the treatment.

This discovery was featured on Radio 4 this lunchtime.

Archived