86% rise in housing benefit claims!

The number of working families relying on housing benefit has almost doubled in three years, a report has warned.

The increase has been blamed on a housing shortage that has fuelled high rents and property prices.

Since 2009 there has been an 86 per cent rise in housing benefit claims by working families, with 417,830 more households now receiving the payments. A further 10,000 are applying every month.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2221111/Working-families-housing-benefit-soar-Number-applications-rising-10-000-month.html#ixzz29ywA0b6S

Inflation figures have been released, a year has passed, rents riseth above inflation YET AGAIN. The relentless yearly rent rises continue and next year's rise is now set.

Housing benefit claims have been shown to increase, the amount of working people having to claim them has increased massively.

Working families are increasingly forced into the clutches of state dependency, unable to afford a roof over their heads, because the rents are too high, forced to rely on the state for housing and be used as a pawn to bid up the price of housing.

It won't be long before we have rent strikes. We need to have rent caps in the first place, and an end to above inflation increase in housing rents, social housing rent rises should be capped at 0.5% below inflation for the foreseeable future..., there should be more security of tenure in the PRS and capped rents and rent rises.

Rents must be capped until wages rise significantly.

Working people should be able to afford housing out of their wages.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2221111/Working-families-housing-benefit-soar-Number-applications-rising-10-000-month.html#ixzz29ywA0b6S

Inflation figures have been released, a year has passed, rents riseth above inflation YET AGAIN. The relentless yearly rent rises continue and next year's rise is now set.

Housing benefit claims have been shown to increase, the amount of working people having to claim them has increased massively.

Working families are increasingly forced into the clutches of state dependency, unable to afford a roof over their heads, because the rents are too high, forced to rely on the state for housing and be used as a pawn to bid up the price of housing.

It won't be long before we have rent strikes. We need to have rent caps in the first place, and an end to above inflation increase in housing rents, social housing rent rises should be capped at 0.5% below inflation for the foreseeable future..., there should be more security of tenure in the PRS and capped rents and rent rises.

Rents must be capped until wages rise significantly.

Working people should be able to afford housing out of their wages.

I'm suprised this hasen't been raised before now, it must be obvious that people in work simply cannot afford housing.

When I moved into my home 13 years ago, apart from the retired OAPS all the other neighbours were in work, If I'd have saved a bit more and been riskier at the time I could have bought a house - on a part time lifeguard wage.

HOw silly does that sound, one part time wage = enough money for a home.

I think it was around 2005 that I planned to move, but in 2005 my FULL TIME teaching wage did not pay enough money and I couldn't ger out.

In 1999, part time wage = living wage. In 2005 full time wage = not enough

The house prices started to shoot up around 2002/2003

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_report.htm?location=sheffield&all=1

The average sale price of a terraced house in Sheffield went from £47k to about £120k in the period you're talking about.

I'd think that your pay as a part time life guard (minimum wage?) to a full time teacher went up by more than 2.5 times though?

Maybe not though, I guess it depends on what part time meant... And maybe life guards are paid more than I thought.

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_report.htm?location=sheffield&all=1

The average sale price of a terraced house in Sheffield went from £47k to about £120k in the period you're talking about.

I bought my first house (2 bed semi in Stocksbridge) for £35,000 in 2001, paying a £5,000 deposit on it.

I sold it in 2006 for a £105,000.

Crazy, crazy stuff, although obviously I wasn't complaining.

I bought my first house (2 bed semi in Stocksbridge) for £35,000 in 2001, paying a £5,000 deposit on it.

I sold it in 2006 for a £105,000.

Crazy, crazy stuff, although obviously I wasn't complaining.

3 times instead of 2.5, slightly cheaper in Stocksbridge than the Sheffield average. All sounds about correct.

Could you have bought it on the income of a part time lifeguard in 2001?

You could definitely have bought it on the full time income of a teacher in 2006 (if you were buying instead of selling).

3 times instead of 2.5, slightly cheaper in Stocksbridge than the Sheffield average. All sounds about correct.

Could you have bought it on the income of a part time lifeguard in 2001?

You could definitely have bought it on the full time income of a teacher in 2006 (if you were buying instead of selling).

I remember when I bought it, I'd just come out of uni, but my first job was very well paid. A few mistakes with finances thereafter, but my one wish is that I'd bought that first house in the first two years I had it and paid it off, which I could have done, had I not been a 24 year old over-eager fool on my first wage, but we live and learn.

Not sure about lifeguards, but the figures are very clear in showing how things have changed in terms of prices.

I agree, I even provided a link that proves it.

I was just wondering at the poster who could afford a house as a part time life guard but not as a full time teacher...

A full time teacher could afford an average terrace in Sheffield even at the 2007 peak of the market.

Archived