Miners' strike policing: MP calls for Orgreave inquiry

Ah, bless. If Labour wins a seat, it's a Labour majority. If the Tories win a seat, it's a Tory majority. In England there are a lot more Conservative seats than Labour seats. I'll leave you to work out the rest, but in England it's a Tory majority. :hihi:

Conrod says - Remember that most English voters are decidely Conservative

Figures say - 9,931,029 voted for the Conservatives

15,154,068 voted against the Conservatives

Yet still he wriggles.

Repeat after me - My name is Conrod and I made a mistake.

Yep, thats a majority,massive as well. Shame its the wrong way :hihi::hihi::hihi:

If we used a FAIR electoral system the Torys would be consigned to the job center.........maybe A4e could help :hihi:

I suspect the figures would be similar for any given election...in that the "winning" party has a minority of the votes...

"In the 1997 election, the victorious Labour Party gained 43.2% of the total votes cast and won 63.6% of seats at Westminster. The combined number of votes for the Tory and Liberal Democrats represented 47.5% of the total votes (nearly 4% more than Labour) yet between them they got 32.1% of the seats available at Westminster.

In the 2001 election, Labour got 43% of the total popular vote whereas all the other parties got 57% - yet Labour maintained its very powerful position in Parliament with 413 MP's out of 659. The same trend was seen with the 2005 election result."

From here

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/first_past_the_post.htm

Does Conrod think that the policing methods deployed at Orgreave warrant an inquiry ??
No he doesn't. If people gather to challenge the authorities, they can expect a few taps on the noggin from a Policeman with a large truncheon. Tear gas, water cannons and baton rounds wouldn't go amiss either.

Conrod says - Remember that most English voters are decidely Conservative

Figures say - 9,931,029 voted for the Conservatives

15,154,068 voted against the Conservatives

Yet still he wriggles.

Repeat after me - My name is Conrod and I made a mistake.

Ok, if it makes you happy, I'll reword it: by far the largest group of English voters are Conservative and the majority of English seats are decidedly Conservative.

Does that make any difference whatsoever to the discussion?

Repeat after me: my name is mikem8634 and I'm a tiresome pedant who dwells on irrelevant detail.

No he doesn't. If people gather to challenge the authorities, they can expect a few taps on the noggin from a Policeman with a large truncheon. Tear gas, water cannons and baton rounds wouldn't go amiss either.

Excellent. I do hope you are happy to extend this to people who have challenged the tax authorities by having tax fiddles to avoid tax.

And idiots like the Lord who (on £120,000 of taxpayer's money per year and £300.00 per day as a Lord) believes OAP's should go back to work.

And all the Countryside Alliance.

Or is it just the working class?

Excellent. I do hope you are happy to extend this to people who have challenged the tax authorities by having tax fiddles to avoid tax.

And idiots like the Lord who (on £120,000 of taxpayer's money per year and £300.00 per day as a Lord) believes OAP's should go back to work.

And all the Countryside Alliance.

Or is it just the working class?

If they're rioting or forming up as an illegal gathering, it doesn't matter what class they are, though such people tend to be from predictable backgrounds.

Ok, if it makes you happy, I'll reword it: by far the largest group of English voters are Conservative and the majority of English seats are decidedly Conservative.

Does that make any difference whatsoever to the discussion?

Repeat after me: my name is mikem8634 and I'm a tiresome pedant who dwells on irrelevant detail.

Using evidence to highlight erroneous statements always makes a difference to the discussion as it sets a standard of substantiation that protects us all from baseless propaganda. It says a lot that you think facts that counter your opinion are irrelevant.

Using evidence to highlight erroneous statements always makes a difference to the discussion as it sets a standard of substantiation that protects us all from baseless propaganda. It says a lot that you think facts that counter your opinion are irrelevant.

What "facts"? The only facts are more people voted FOR the Conservatives than voted for Labour.

And more people voted AGAINST Labour than the Conservatives.

Archived