Paying car insurance etc by debit card.

Checking my bank statement I found that I was somehow overdrawn by £500 more than usual.

On further examination I found that my insurance broker had renewed my car insurance without telling me or sending me a quote, [he says he has].

Any way I demanded my money back which I am informed will take three days at least ,

The thing is when you pay by debit card unless you make it clear at the time some companies can renew services etc 12 months later and you may not even notice until it is to late.

I am glad I noticed as I saved £150 on my car insurance by getting quotes elsewhere.

Checking my bank statement I found that I was somehow overdrawn by £500 more than usual.

On further examination I found that my insurance broker had renewed my car insurance without telling me or sending me a quote, [he says he has].

Any way I demanded my money back which I am informed will take three days at least ,

The thing is when you pay by debit card unless you make it clear at the time some companies can renew services etc 12 months later and you may not even notice until it is to late.

I am glad I noticed as I saved £150 on my car insurance by getting quotes elsewhere.

This is worrying, how far before your insurance ran out did they take the money out of your account?

The AA take your premium automatically but send you a letter beforehand with the quote. I've just had mine come through and the premium had gone down.

As the car is nine years old now I thought I'd try to get it down further, so I rang them up and asked for a quote for Third Party, Fire and Theft. Guess what? It was more than for Comprehensive. After I'd finished laughing and threatening to look elsewhere, they threw in free Excess Protection. If I understand the small print, it means that effectively you don't have an excess. One excess-free claim allowed per year.

...If I understand the small print, it means that effectively you don't have an excess. One excess-free claim allowed per year.

Maybe. Is there anything else in the small print?

A friend of mine had protected NCB and no excess. He had an accident and the insurance company paid out.

When he came to renew the policy, the price had gone up. He asked "Why?" reminding them that he had protected NCB etc and they said: "Yes Sir and your NCB is still 60% but since the accident we've re-assessed you (upwards) as a risk and the new premium reflects the new risk assessment.

You've still got your protected NCB and it's still 60% - but 60% of a [far] larger premium."

Archived