Naming ceremonies

We just chose a couple of readings ourselves, thanked specifically those who had helped up to that point, and gave my mum and Mr Strix's mum keepsakes from the baby (as they were the people who had really put themselves out)

One of the readings was the explanation of young H's name

We chose a local hall with reasonable bar prices, and plenty of parking for travelling family (but it was in Wallasey ;) )

Just so I'm clear on this before mentioning it to himself are naming ceremonies religious? Our baby is due imminently and daddy wants to get her christened as he was. Neither of us are religious and I feel it would be hypocritical of us to go through with a religious ceremony so have currently vetoed the idea. Thank you

So, have I got this right?

Daddy wants to get the child christened.

You are ambivalent - neither of you practices a religion.

So you have vetoed it.

If you wanted to do something and he couldn't really care either way but he thought he might not like it, so he vetoed it, how would that make you feel?

If you don't really care (and it seems that although you've no particular wish to have the child christened, you've no objection to christening per se), is it really worth exercising a veto over the matter?

Nope - they're an excuse to stick to the tradition of inviting all of the extended family around to meet the new addition to the clan, without upsetting the baby by pouring water over it or whatever, or listening to any fire and brimstone or having embarrassed shufflings over collection plates being passed around ;)

Have a party - call it what you like. Do what suits you guys best

My religious older relatives were satisfied by the little anecdote on H's name, as it did mention God, but that wasn't specifically deliberate. It's traditional to give a locket as thanks to a mother (new grandmother) who attends the birth. We chose to give a pewter pocket watch on a neck chain as the celtic knot on it was significant, as is the giving of a time piece

So you have vetoed it.

If you wanted to do something and he couldn't really care either way but he thought he might not like it, so he vetoed it, how would that make you feel?

If you don't really care (and it seems that although you've no particular wish to have the child christened, you've no objection to christening per se), is it really worth exercising a veto over the matter?

Yes - arranging anything involving summoning two clans together is a complete total utter nightmare, which isn't worth putting yourself through if it isn't necessary. Far too many people suddenly come out of the woodwork sticking their oar in

... and besides 'because he was christened' isn't exactly a reason for wanting this child to be christened

So you have vetoed it.

I'm not ambivalent I abhor religion in all it's forms, and I won't be hypocritical and attend church for a ceremony I myself don't believe in. If he insists on getting her christened I have said as its important to him I will let him BUT I won't be there, neither at the church nor the bun fight after. Nor do I see the point in him wanting her christened, just because he was, he is not religious either, she will be brought up to make her own decisions on the matter later she will not have religion rammed down her throat but if she decides to practise a faith during later life then I won't attempt to stop her

Maybe you can make your own ceremony at home, something like an initiation rite. Or is there someone from The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? It was a coincidence, I was in a fine print shop in a small town near Paris and saw this leaflets with this new trend. It is the same like Jediism. Love it.

Archived