Naming ceremonies

WHY does he REALLY want her christened? Is it actually because the tradition of introducing the baby to the family in a formal celebration is important to him and his family?

Suggest a naming ceremony instead, with some of the formalities, and see if that makes him happy :)

I have no idea why he thinks he wants her christened. Hopefully he will change his mind, if not it will be him and his family unless we reach some sort of compromise that's acceptable to me, the mother of his child who is heartily fed up of carrying her now!!!

Hello Beanfeast

yes there are people who do naming ceremonies. I have been to three now - they are definitely becoming more popular. two were at the town hall and done by one of the official registrars. The town hall ones were good -the registrar was funny but otherwise it was quite formal as everyone sat in rows and listened as you would at a wedding or in a church. The other one was very different and quirky. It was in a community hall and we sat around lots of small tables and had tea and everyone brought cakes - much more informal and relaxed. The parents had a celebrant type person in to do the 'service' and she was lovely. The parents said some bits too and the whole thing was very personal and quite moving. I kept her card as we are thinking about doing something similar - Clare Freeland: http://www.whenlifechanges.co.uk. the other good thing about the community hall one is that the service and the party were in the same room and all rolled into one - much easier than rounding all the kids and everyone up and then moving to a different venue.

Archived