Is Wales a foreign country?

The law has never been changed as regards to shooting a Welshman with a bow and arrow if he crosses the English border, it's still allowed. :hihi:

Not quite. Its in the Chester city walls after midnight, but more modern laws of wounding, ABH, GBH, manslaughter and murder supersede it and render it useless.

Many of these strange law loopholes were repealed and deleted in 2004.

Not quite. Its in the Chester city walls after midnight, but more modern laws of wounding, ABH, GBH, manslaughter and murder supersede it and render it useless.

Many of these strange law loopholes were repealed and deleted in 2004.

It's all linked to the battle of Chester in 616, and Ethelfrith of Northumbria.

Wales is a country just as much as England is a country, and Scotland is a country, and Northern Ireland is a country.

I think you'll find that there are four countries that make up the United Kingdom, which is a sovereign state, not a country.

Tell that to David Cameron, who insists on describing the UK as a country.

Do you speak 'Oxford English' PT?

If you want to know what Oxford English sounds like, talk to Pam Ayres. - She speaks Oxford English.

I used to do a brilliant impression of my first boyfriend's dad. he came from Suffolk, and I was great at mimicking him. (or Mimmimawking, as my mother would have called it)

Many Welsh words and phrases have a lot in common with French, so it's hardly "a language that no one else understands worldwide"...

A French language speaker will not understand Welsh at all. Neither could a Bretagne or Gaelic speaker. They would not recognise words or phrases in conversation unless the context was known/expected.

A French speaker could recognise some Welsh words written eg fenast, eglwys and ysgol. That is because there is a common Latin element in the development of both languages eg Bible translations. Welsh did not develope from French. English has directly introduced French words due to conquest/Skakespere/fashion and so modern English contains many French and Latin words which would be recognisable to French speakers.

Archived