What is there to do at Sheffield Hallam Uni?

AlasdairG

Hi, I'm thinking about going to Sheffield Hallam university next year. What is there for students to do outside of their studies?

My current interests include Fencing, karate, steam engines, design, Hill/ mountain walking, mountain biking, Kayaking, rock climbing, motorbikes, fast cars and aeroplanes. At university I would also like to start scuba diving, paragliding, skiing, travelling, and restart sailing (haven't done sailing in years) on top of all that if possible. Are there any student societies/ groups for any of those things? Is there a Sheffield student walking society? Maybe a student fencing club?

Are there even just groups for those activities whether they are students or not?

I would usually rather go up a mountain than go to a nightclub (not that I don't wan't to do that though). That is why I'm considering Sheffield Hallam, mainly because its really good for the course I want to do (product design BSc), but also because of the peak district. However, I don't wan't to be the only student in the countryside surrounded by lots of older people.

You won't need to worry about what's available in the area if you can't even spell the name of the place

If you are going to do product design, you're going to have to learn how important 'attention to detail' is, and how expensive it is to be slapdash

Hi, I'm thinking about going to Sheffield Hallum university next year. What is there for students to do outside of their studies?

My current interests include Fencing, karate, steam engines, design, Hill/ mountain walking, mountain biking, Kayaking, rock climbing, motorbikes, fast cars and aeroplanes. At university I would also like to start scuba diving, paragliding, skiing, travelling, and restart sailing (haven't done sailing in years) on top of all that if possible. Are there any student societies/ groups for any of those things? Is there a Sheffield student walking society? Maybe a student fencing club?

Are there even just groups for those activities whether they are students or not?

I would usually rather go up a mountain than go to a nightclub (not that I don't wan't to do that though). That is why I'm considering Sheffield Hallum, mainly because its really good for the course I want to do (product design BSc), but also because of the peak district. However, I don't wan't to be the only student in the countryside surrounded by lots of older people.

Yes, there are clubs for the majority of the activities you've mentioned. Next question...

You won't need to worry about what's available in the area if you can't even spell the name of the place

If you are going to do product design, you're going to have to learn how important 'attention to detail' is, and how expensive it is to be slapdash

I thought I spelt it right...? It's spelt Sheffield isn't it?:confused:

I thought I spelt it right...? It's spelt Sheffield isn't it?:confused:

Oh, I just realised I spelt Sheffield Hallam as 'hallum' after I goggled it. Sorry, I can't spell. I don't normally notice spelling errors and can't remember words too well. That's why I get learning support for dyslexia at college. Spell check usually fixes it for me though. I usually read over everything I type at least 10 times so that people don't mock my spelling but I still make mistakes.

There's a list of societies at Hallam here:-

http://hallamunion.org/societies/list-of-societies/

and a list of sports clubs here:-

http://hallamunion.org/sports/clubs-a-z/

I think, particularly with the sports clubs, you'll find many of your interests covered.

You might also be interested in the Sheffield Fencing School:-

http://www.tobyhazel.co.uk/Fencing/index.htm

Archived