Looking for Sockett/Mills family history

lady4672

Hi i'm posting this looking for Sockett/Mills family history. I've been looking at an older thread (2008 looking for Betty Mills) and found someone, user name Billy 75, who was looking for information regarding the Sockett Electricals shop on Fir Vale. I believe Billy 75 is talking about my nanan too, Anne Sockett/Mills. If any one has any further info or if Billy 75 is still a forum user please post.

Hi i'm posting this looking for Sockett/Mills family history. I've been looking at an older thread (2008 looking for Betty Mills) and found someone, user name Billy 75, who was looking for information regarding the Sockett Electricals shop on Fir Vale. I believe Billy 75 is talking about my nanan too, Anne Sockett/Mills. If any one has any further info or if Billy 75 is still a forum user please post.

Socketts was originally on Carlisle St in Grimesthorpe, I can remember going to get the accumelater recharged there to power the wireless set.

Hi lady4672, sorry I can't help with your family history, other than I used to buy my Dinky Toys from the Carlisle Road shop in the late '40s/early '50s. I met up again with Mr &. Mrs. E.Sockett and their daughter Barbara and her brother, as between 1966 and 1972 I called weekly on the two Firvale shops as a salesman for Ever Ready (batteries and torches etc.) I believe Mr. Socket, as I called him, was named Ernest, and presume Mrs. Sockett was your nanan?? I last saw Barbara at the smaller Firvale shop when I popped in for a chat about the old times a few years ago before it closed down.

Regards, Peter.

No promises, but if you look for 'Lakerman' on these pages, he may be of some help.

I'm a Sockett. My grandfathers cousin was the guy that started the Electrical business/shop going. Don't know much more than that about them though. I have lived in Sheffield all my life (65yrs) and my dad also lived all of his life here as well. I think that also applied to my Grandfather. As far as the surname Mills is concerened, I have no recollection of any of my close family being married to anyone called Mills.

Archived