Keep left unless overtaking; hogging the outside lane

I can't find anything in the HC that says that the solid white lines can be ignored at any time. It does say that bus lanes are only bus lanes as marked, but it doesn't say that the bus lane is a normal lane outside of this time, nor does it say that it becomes acceptable to cross the solid white line at any time.

It's actually solid centre lines that can't be crossed..not just any solid white line,otherwise you'd never go over a "STOP" line

Or the mentality of drivers who use a 'Right Turn Only' lane to barge into a congested 'Straight On' lane. Their time is obviously more important.

Anyone who travels to Manchester over the Woodhead probably knows where I mean.

Or on Bernard Road on the tram lines. The amount of times I've been waiting behind cars to turn right, that won't turn right because they are waiting for a gap in the straight on lane. Grrrr.

This is perhaps getting more common, but it's by no means a new phenomenon. In the early '90s, my Rover 116 overtook the same Mercedes six times in between Sheffield and Luton. Every time we went past him, he immediately pulled out, accelerated from 50 to about 105, rocketed half a mile clear of us and then slowed back down to 50 again.

I've had this debate with many 'speed poilce' posters on here! It's the idiots who don't follow the highway code that are the REAL menace on the roads. Just because you stick to the speed limit doesn't make you 'Dudley do-right' when you are doing your hair / lipstick / nose picking or mobile phone answering.

Back on track.......I was stuck behind someone on a dual carriageway the other day doing about 3-4 mph under the limit in the outer lane......doing the exact same speed as the car on the inside lane....they were side by side! What's that all about?

It's the same kind of mentality when there are 2 lanes of traffic filtering into one lane half a mile ahead. People would rather get in the left lane, causing more of a bottleneck than to use the second lane for what it was designed for.

You always get people flashing and trying to drive as close to the car in front as possible to make a point of not letting you in. They clearly have very little in their life.

It is actually quicker to form into one line early because it means that all the vehicles are not merging at the same point. By forming a queue in the lane that is open, it also means that people get through the obstruction in roughly the order they arrived in, which is fair. of course the effect is always ruined by the ego centric types who use the lane which has been vacated to push in front of as many people as possible before bullying their way in. Now I know the delusional excuse they tell themselves for their self centred and anti social behaviour. Thanks for letting me in on that.

I've had this debate with many 'speed poilce' posters on here! It's the idiots who don't follow the highway code that are the REAL menace on the roads.

Anyone who is breaking the speed limit is, by definition, not following the highway code, as are a great many other people not breaking it.

It is actually quicker to form into one line early because it means that all the vehicles are not merging at the same point.

The highway code was changed some years ago to reflect the fact that this claim is false. It is now recommended to form a queue in both lanes at once, and merge in turn.

Archived