Keep left unless overtaking; hogging the outside lane

The highway code advises merging in turn....

I think you are being a bit selective with your interpretation here. This is what I found.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069864

Road works

When the ‘Road Works Ahead’ sign is displayed, you will need to be more watchful and look for additional signs providing more specific instructions. Observe all signs - they are there for your safety and the safety of road workers.

* you MUST NOT exceed any temporary maximum speed limit

* use your mirrors and get into the correct lane for your vehicle in good time and as signs direct

* do not switch lanes to overtake queuing traffic

I am quite sure that when the highway code says that queues in two lanes should merge in turn, they did not mean drive up to the front of a single lane of queuing trafiic and push in.

I think you are being a bit selective with your interpretation here. This is what I found.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_069864

Road works

When the ‘Road Works Ahead’ sign is displayed, you will need to be more watchful and look for additional signs providing more specific instructions. Observe all signs - they are there for your safety and the safety of road workers.

* you MUST NOT exceed any temporary maximum speed limit

* use your mirrors and get into the correct lane for your vehicle in good time and as signs direct

* do not switch lanes to overtake queuing traffic

I am quite sure that when the highway code says that queues in two lanes should merge in turn, they did not mean drive up to the front of a single lane of queuing trafiic and push in.

The highway code says...

"134

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. "

The bit you've quoted goes on to say...

"where lanes are restricted due to road works, merge in turn (see Rule 134)"

Who's being selective now?

That's logically impossible. If traffic is light, there is enough space to filter in without queuing. That's the very definition of light traffic.

But there is obvuiously a point where it goes from flowing traffic to stopped traffic. this point will be reached sooner and made worse if people wait until the last minute to change lanes. You have quoted the Highway Code, so I googled it, and they are with me on this point, as you can see in my last post.

But there is obvuiously a point where it goes from flowing traffic to stopped traffic. this point will be reached sooner and made worse if people wait until the last minute to change lanes. You have quoted the Highway Code, so I googled it, and they are with me on this point, as you can see in my last post.

Why didn't you quote the whole part?

My sister lives in the SW, and near her there is a hill where the road has a short length of 'overtaking road' to help with traffic flow. However, in the summer months, when traffic is busy, the lane is always closed because they found that rather than speed up flow it actually reduced it as the inevitable squabbles between 'early queue' drivers and 'get ahead of everybody else' drivers broke out.

The reason i wonder is because the highway code says that solid white lines should not be crossed - so do you have to stay in the bus lane the entire length?

Yes, if you enter a bus lane you have to stay in it. If you encounter any cars parked in the bus lane as on Ecclesall Road in normal business hours then you have to wait behind them until the driver returns.

You fool :hihi:

The highway code says...

"134

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. "

The bit you've quoted goes on to say...

"where lanes are restricted due to road works, merge in turn (see Rule 134)"

Who's being selective now?

This is the OP I replied to.

It's the same kind of mentality when there are 2 lanes of traffic filtering into one lane half a mile ahead. People would rather get in the left lane, causing more of a bottleneck than to use the second lane for what it was designed for.

You always get people flashing and trying to drive as close to the car in front as possible to make a point of not letting you in. They clearly have very little in their life.

He is clearly refering to pushing in on a queue where motorists have - as recomended by the highway code - got into lane as early as possible. In that context, the section of the Highway Code I have quoted is relevant. When they say 'merge in turn' they are obviously refering to a situation where there are queues in two lanes. Otherwise it is not 'merging' at all. It is pushing in.

Archived