Keep left unless overtaking; hogging the outside lane

Following on from the 20mph thread and breaking speed limits,I was on the 2 lane A14 yesterday and was just about to overtake 2 lorries travelling nose to tail.

The rear one signalled and pulled out to o/t the one in front.

It took him 10 minutes to complete the manouever by which time there was a long queue behind me.

Why do they do it, what is the b....y point because he stayed just in front of the lorry he'd just overtaken?

That was not an isolated incident either.:rant::rant:

Well cheer up you lot because as from january 7.5 ton trucks have to be restricted to max 56mph too and a host of other stuff to follow.

You cant call Truck drivers for wanting to make progress,a few mph dosnt sound much to you but over a 10 hour shift it can mean the difference between sleeping with the wife or alone in a truck.

Drivers are as much ****** about it as everyone else.The law says a truck can do 60mph on a motorway but restricted to a max of 56 which in reality is usually 53-54.

Lorry drivers have an unenviable task, and as pointed out above, speed restrictions are now in place.

The lorry being overtaken may be fully laden, and the overtaking lorry may be empty, BUT because of the speed limiters on them, there may be only a small difference in speed because of the weight.

Personally I give Lorry drivers respect (esp artic drivers) as I wouldn't even consider doing their job because of the rules & restrictions they have to put up with.

What nobody thinks about is that they have schedules to meet, and when they are on the motorway that seems fine, but would you fancy taking a 42 ton artic through a built up area?

I wouldn't.

Lorry drivers have an unenviable task, and as pointed out above, speed restrictions are now in place.

The lorry being overtaken may be fully laden, and the overtaking lorry may be empty, BUT because of the speed limiters on them, there may be only a small difference in speed because of the weight.

Perhaps at least the guy being overtaken, for the sake of the 50 cars queuing behind the wagon doing the overtaking, could take his foot off the gas for 5 seconds.

Personally I give Lorry drivers respect (esp artic drivers) as I wouldn't even consider doing their job because of the rules & restrictions they have to put up with.

What nobody thinks about is that they have schedules to meet, and when they are on the motorway that seems fine, but would you fancy taking a 42 ton artic through a built up area?

I wouldn't.

Just to clarify the weight issue...

the loaded truck is faster down hill and the lighter truck will be faster up which also adds to the frustration of hgv drivers and anything following as this can cause a lenthy overtaking manouvre

Perhaps at least the guy being overtaken, for the sake of the 50 cars queuing behind the wagon doing the overtaking, could take his foot off the gas for 5 seconds.

Unfortunately, He probably wants to get home ASAP too?

I would :hihi:

Unfortunately, He probably wants to get home ASAP too?

I would :hihi:

So he's happy to hold up dozens or hundreds of vehicles for 10 miles of being stuck next to another wagon, costing all of them minutes, for the sake of 5 seconds just for himself?

That's why wagons should be restricted to only the left lane on dual carriageways and motorways.

Archived