UK economy growing at fastest rate since 2007 ONS SAYS.

Quangos are semi-autonomous while the ONS is considered to be independent. This is the cause of the confusion.

People like Mecky will use figures reported by the ONS as a stick to beat the current government with when they are bad, but as soon as they are positive, all of a sudden the ONS is not to be trusted. Go figure.

How can the ONS be independent without its own funding?

some people wish harm on our economy just so they can say their brand of politics is correct :roll:

Very true.

I'm certainly not complaining. We may not be out of the woods yet though, but that's never going to happen overnight. Nobody, least of all politicians has a magic wand.

Let's hope that this growth is sustainable.

How can the ONS be independent without its own funding?

That was a direct quote, although spelled incorrectly, from Mecky.

Which are an independant agency funded by the government, as it says on their website. If that's not a definition of a quango I don't know what is.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quango

But L00b has already pointed out how this can happen.

And not only that, They were saying back in July the Olympics were responsible for people not spending in the shops, so it seems strange that it's suddenly been turned around. Cameron let this slip the other day, so the news came from him and not the ONS, but it's likely this has been done to deflect the blame. IMO Cameron is just trying to "Big up" the economy .... and to think he slated the previous government for trying to do the same.

I cannot stand posts like these. Figures are up. It might be blip it might not be these partisan, foaming at the mouth nut jobs refuse any thing positive unless it's labour in charge - then its all roses. You would be doing cartwheels if unemployment was up and we were still in recession.

Of course we arent out of the woods yet . At least two ford factories have closed today, that must cheer you right up. But its generally moving in the right direction.

I suspect we will see reduced growth in Q4 due to Christmas and then back to low growth in Q1 2013, then a slow increase over the next year.

Recession in the EuroZone is holding our economy back. But as they are still contracting I'd rather have our situation than theirs.

Archived