Telephone Line Rental

If I had a BT Telephone Account then it would follow that I would pay them "Line Rental", however my Telephone account is with Virgin, so myLine Rental goes to them.

The question is, who owns that magical bit of wire that comes from the telewag pole into my house, and who maintains it? How many other telephone companies have a share of these wires?

Just a thought

Baz

I understand it as this:

BT owns the telephone cables that go from the telewag pole (stealing that!) to your house.

Virgin own the "cable" cables that go to your house.

Each are responsible for their own maintenance

And do note, line rental isn't just for rental of the physical line. It is used for services such as 1471, 1571 and all that (although you have no option to opt out of these).

Just to add to my last post:

some of my neighbours have the SKY package, and pay line rental to them, so if BT own the line do they sub let to all the other telephone providers? I always thought that the Post office (GPO) as it was, were responsible for the telephone junction boxes etc.:confused:

Just to add to my last post:

some of my neighbours have the SKY package, and pay line rental to them, so if BT own the line do they sub let to all the other telephone providers? I always thought that the Post office (GPO) as it was, were responsible for the telephone junction boxes etc.:confused:

Sky, or whoever, will pay BT Whole sale for rental of the line...BT is a lot of smaller parts these days rather than one big monolith..

If you have Virgin cable, then there is no wire from the telephone pole to your house, or if there is it's disconnected. Virgin cable uses it's own infrastructure & has wires going under the pavement to your house.

If you're not on cable, then BT owns the wire between your house & the phone exchange.

Archived