I know it's hard, but would it hurt to be nice to each other?

We all have different views and different approaches to life and it's good to argue about these. The problem comes when people can't tell the difference between debating a subject and being personally nasty to someone. It takes an intelligent person to attack the post, not the poster and unfortunately there are individuals who equate viciousness with free speech.

If only those people would realise that once you've resorted to abuse, you've lost the argument. It's then obvious to everyone that you've run out of intelligent things to say, you can't admit it, you don't want to lose face, so you use sarcasm, derision and personal insults.

Personally, as soon as I see that sort of post, I lose interest in the thread, as I know it's quickly going to reach the level of bickering and name-calling. The reason I stay on this Forum is because it's moderated. At some point the sad little idiots who don't know how to debate will have their posts removed & I can read and enjoy the good, well-written and grown up arguments.

Nice thread Mrs Overall. Let's hope the right people read it.

We all have different views and different approaches to life and it's good to argue about these. The problem comes when people can't tell the difference between debating a subject and being personally nasty to someone. It takes an intelligent person to attack the post, not the poster and unfortunately there are individuals who equate viciousness with free speech.

If only those people would realise that once you've resorted to abuse, you've lost the argument. It's then obvious to everyone that you've run out of intelligent things to say, you can't admit it, you don't want to lose face, so you use sarcasm, derision and personal insults.

Personally, as soon as I see that sort of post, I lose interest in the thread, as I know it's quickly going to reach the level of bickering and name-calling. The reason I stay on this Forum is because it's moderated. At some point the sad little idiots who don't know how to debate will have their posts removed & I can read and enjoy the good, well-written and grown up arguments.

Nice thread Mrs Overall. Let's hope the right people read it.

Very good and very true, and a great advert for the forum. I think we have all had our little moments, but I can see the point that nobody actually knows who they are being sarcastic to. Ive been guilty in the past, but if I thought for one moment that the person I was bickering with was, for example, a lovely old lady who lived alone, I suspect I would eat a large slice of humble pie, but sadly we can never know who is who, which makes it difficult if the lonely old lady decides to pick a bicker, if you know what I mean!:):)

Very good and very true, and a great advert for the forum. I think we have all had our little moments, but I can see the point that nobody actually knows who they are being sarcastic to. Ive been guilty in the past, but if I thought for one moment that the person I was bickering with was, for example, a lovely old lady who lived alone, I suspect I would eat a large slice of humble pie, but sadly we can never know who is who, which makes it difficult if the lonely old lady decides to pick a bicker, if you know what I mean!:):)

Lovely post Superdream. And I wasn't being sarcastic.

Yes I'm one of the older ladies(don't know about lovely) but I can hold my own most times, I do spend a lot of time on my own as my hubby's still working ( he retires early next year) so I come on here for all sorts of reasons..:)

Most of the time I enjoy it, I do think as an older person, I've lost touch as there's a big age difference and I don't know who I'm talking to either, so that's something I need to remember..:nod:

Yes I'm one of the older ladies(don't know about lovely) but I can hold my own most times, I do spend a lot of time on my own as my hubby's still working ( he retires early next year) so I come on here for all sorts of reasons..:)

Most of the time I enjoy it, I do think as an older person, I've lost touch as there's a big age difference and I don't know who I'm talking to either, so that's something I need to remember..:nod:

Well, Mrs "O".....I promise to treat you with every respect, and I dont mind if you put me in my place now and again, even if you take up cycling:gag:, but this position of yours comes at a cost......I expect home made meat and tatty pie, with those peas you steep for ages, and a birthday card with a book token every year! xx

I would never be nasty to someone, online or otherwise. I've found that it helps to not take things too seriously on here. Some people just like to wind people up and are just fishing for a response.

For the most part, people are nice, though.

Like my mum would say, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all :D

There's no excuse for bad manners imo but sometimes when someone makes a post which is patronising or demeaning, or really nasty then it's better not to ask to have it removed just leave it up so everyone can see what sort of person he/she is

This is the Internet, if you don't have a thick skin then forums aren't really the place for you.

It's like celebrities who cry about 'trolls' who send them nasty tweets.

Welcome to the Internet.

Anyway, in contrast to real life, at least on the Internet people are mean overtly rather than behind your back!

There's nothing more pathetic than spewing venom from the safety of your PC when you wouldn't dare say such things to someone's face. I always took pride in laying my cards on the table with people in person. I may have lost a few friends as a result, but the one's i have left are definitely friends with the real me and that counts for a lot.

let's just stop being d**ks with each other and get along. The points we may or may not score in online discussions aren't really worth anything anyway.

Archived