Watching someone die

I couldn't think of a better title for this thread, so opologies in advance. In 1993 I held my mum's hand as she passed away. In 2005 I held my dad's hand as he passed away. To be present at the moment of death of both of your parents is probably quite rare. Then again, it might not be. Some people have told me that I was fortunate to be there, some have told me that I was not. Personally I don't know, sometimes I'm glad I was there and sometimes I wish I hadn't been.

Any thoughts on this?

That must have been really difficult. I do think that if you can be there for someone close when they pass away you should be, but that is my opinion.

I do feel you have been lucky to have been there as you could say your very personal good byes, not infront of a few people at a funeral service but up close to the person that it is meant for.

I couldn't think of a better title for this thread, so opologies in advance. In 1993 I held my mum's hand as she passed away. In 2005 I held my dad's hand as he passed away. To be present at the moment of death of both of your parents is probably quite rare. Then again, it might not be. Some people have told me that I was fortunate to be there, some have told me that I was not. Personally I don't know, sometimes I'm glad I was there and sometimes I wish I hadn't been.

Any thoughts on this?

I have had a very similar experience - Dad in 1999 and Mum in 2010.

I can honestly say that I have never doubted for a single minute that I was fortunate to be with them to the very last moment, and found some comfort in the fact that they both knew that I was there for them like they had been for me all my life.

I have had a very similar experience - Dad in 1999 and Mum in 2010.

I can honestly say that I have never doubted for a single minute that I was fortunate to be with them to the very last moment, and found some comfort in the fact that they both knew that I was there for them like they had been for me all my life.

Thanks for that my friend.

My dad died in 2010 and mum at christmas last year... They were both in hospital and on both occasions, the hospital called me to tell me to get there as soon as I could.

I held their hands as they passed over, I said goodbye - and thinking it over afterwards, I was glad I could be there. My brother lives in the USA and obviously couldn't be there, but at the end, neither of them were on their own in the hospital.

Some people have told me that I was fortunate to be there, some have told me that I was not.

Personally I think you were fortunate but I guess it depends on the individual.

Death isn't quite the taboo it was in Victorian times but it's a subject people prefer not to think/talk about too much.

My mum died last year. We (all her children and most of her grandchildren) were there at the end. It was the worse moment of my life, but I don't regret being there, it seemed right for us all to be there to spend those last precious minutes with her, to say goodbye to her and support each other in our grief.

it was right for us, but that doesn't mean that it would be right for everyone.

Archived