Ford to close two UK plants with loss of 1,400 jobs

Ford is an American company, so if you were Ford's CEO where would you choose to make Transit Vans?

In the UK where it costs £2500 in labour per van or in Rumania where it costs £500 per van.

That is not the question I asked, you are not the CEO of Ford, do you support Fords decision to close the plant?

That is not the question I asked, you are not the CEO of Ford, do you support Fords decision to close the plant?

I can't really see an alternative if they can't sell vans at the price they cost in the UK, and my opinion counts for nothing, but if I were the CEO of Ford I would do what is right for the company.

So IF you were CEO of Ford what would you do?

I can't really see an alternative if they can't sell vans at the price they cost in the UK, and my opinion counts for nothing, but if I were the CEO of Ford I would do what is right for the company.

So IF you were CEO of Ford what would you do?[/QUOTE]

You Tories would sell your own grand mother if you could!

If I was the CEO, I would be lobbying the UK Government for support to ensure that the plant is kept open for when trading conditions improve.

So IF you were CEO of Ford what would you do?[/QUOTE]

You Tories would sell your own grand mother if you could!

If I was the CEO, I would be lobbying the UK Government for support to ensure that the plant is kept open for when trading conditions improve.

You seem more interested in politicing than debating. What have I said that makes me a tory?

I note that Ford took the decision to buy a plant in Rumania in which to build Transit vans in 2007.

Around the same time this was happening in the UK.

http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/eiro/2007/05/articles/uk0705029i.htm

Ford announces plan to close UK foundry

On 29 March 2007, the Ford motor company announced its intention to close its foundry in Leamington Spa in central Warwickshire with the loss of 365 jobs. The plant will cease production on 21 July 2007. There will be no compulsory redundancies, with employees being offered the choice of early retirement, voluntary redundancy or relocation to another Ford site, as well as enhanced pay-offs if they maintain uninterrupted production until the site closes.

Leamington’s Labour Party Member of Parliament, James Plaskitt, declared that Ford’s decision to close the plant was ‘a kick in the teeth’ for its workers. The MP spoke of his dismay at hearing the announcement, having met the Ford Europe Chief Executive, John Flemming, in the German city of Cologne in February to plead the plant’s case.

Management claims plant ‘uncompetitive’

Ford stated that the foundry, which it has owned since 1940, was making annual losses of over GBP 10 million (about €14.6 million as at 3 April 2007). The plant makes brakes and disks for small cars, a market in which Ford faces intense competition from Asian and eastern European producers. According to the Financial Times, production will be moved to the Czech Republic, Serbia, Turkey and other countries with cheaper production costs.

The closure announcement follows the plant’s failure to win a new contract to make brake castings for the new Fiesta model. A Ford spokesperson emphasised that, in 2004 and 2005, the company had proposed cost-cutting programmes to the hourly paid workforce, but that these had been rejected. According to the company representative, ‘Ford’s Leamington foundry operates within a competitive global market. The plant’s high cost base has long been a cause for concern.’

Ford Makes motor vehicles. It - like most other major companies - aims to stay competitive, make a profit, increase its market share and support its stakeholders.

Those stakeholders do include its employees, but I doubt that providing employment for people in any country is a primary goal of the company.

It appears that there is significant over-capacity within the motor manufacturing industry in Western Europe (and there may be over-capacity globally.)

If Ford wishes to expand, then:

There's no point in building/maintaining factories in western Europe if the over-capacity is so great and they are already losing money.

There's no point in building factories in China, Japan, Korea or other Pacific Rim countries - They've already got more than enough already.

There's no point in building factories in India. - The competition would be too fierce.

There's no point in building factories in Australia. - They've got plenty.

So what's left? Eastern Europe and ex-soviet controlled Asia. They've got customers, they've got money (some of them have got lots of money!)

How many Western countries or organisations (apart from the US & Germany and some of the oil companies) have paid a lot of attention to the ex-soviet republics?

Perhaps Ford are stealing a march on the competition?

Ford Makes motor vehicles. It - like most other major companies - aims to stay competitive, make a profit, increase its market share and support its stakeholders.

Those stakeholders do include its employees, but I doubt that providing employment for people in any country is a primary goal of the company.

It appears that there is significant over-capacity within the motor manufacturing industry in Western Europe (and there may be over-capacity globally.)

If Ford wishes to expand, then:

There's no point in building/maintaining factories in western Europe if the over-capacity is so great and they are already losing money.

There's no point in building factories in China, Japan, Korea or other Pacific Rim countries - They've already got more than enough already.

There's no point in building factories in India. - The competition would be too fierce.

There's no point in building factories in Australia. - They've got plenty.

So what's left? Eastern Europe and ex-soviet controlled Asia. They've got customers, they've got money (some of them have got lots of money!)

How many Western countries or organisations (apart from the US & Germany and some of the oil companies) have paid a lot of attention to the ex-soviet republics?

Perhaps Ford are stealing a march on the competition?

Weren't Ford UK on strike earlier in the year? I doubt that did much for their cause.

Archived