Ford to close two UK plants with loss of 1,400 jobs

Weren't Ford UK on strike earlier in the year? I doubt that did much for their cause.

It might have done, it probably didn't. Ford Europe are leaking cash. That said the unions are "going to fight it" presumably by encouraging their members not to work and earn a bit more overtime before they join the ranks of the unemployed (or get another job with jla or still with ford making panther engines).

It might have done, it probably didn't. Ford Europe are leaking cash. That said the unions are "going to fight it" presumably by encouraging their members not to work and earn a bit more overtime before they join the ranks of the unemployed (or get another job with jla or still with ford making panther engines).

Does it help you job prospects to tell your potential employer that you were on strike the week before.

I don't know how the unions think they are 'going to fight it'. One article I read said that whenever one of the car makers threatened to close down a plant in Europe there was an outcry. - That's hardly surprising; nobody wants to lose their job.

Ford seem to have decided to 'do the lot at once and get it over with in one go.' The closures in the UK are no, doubt, going to be painful but with an additional 8300 job losses in Genk (4300 Ford workers and an estimated 4000 workers in support companies) that's going to be little short of disastrous for that region.

Archived