Blaming teachers for the low-aspirations of pupils

Well thats the world we live in, look for scapegoats and apportion blame, it's OK when it suits peoples agendas though eh :suspect:

I like it when people on here use Daily Mail links when so many posters choose to dismiss DM stories when it suits them too :suspect:

Surely its what's in the link that is important rather than where it came from? If people don't want to read or believe the first one, here's an alternative from

the BBC : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20043225

And a quote from that one: Mr Allen said: "I work with my secondary heads and they say that the raw material they are sent at age 11 is not good enough, therefore I go on to my primary heads and they say children arrive at school unable to read or recognise the difference between a letter or a number, they arrive sometimes in nappies, unable to speak in a sentence."

Good points!......it has long been known that lots of kids farmed out from an early age so that parents can pay for modern consumption habits, grow up illiterate and rebellious many finishing up in dud Uni courses and some would you believe becoming teachers!

I have one of those teachers in my family! My nephew is a history teacher, even after spending some of his early years with a childminder. His dud uni was St Andrews. :o

Surely its what's in the link that is important rather than where it came from? If people don't want to read or believe the first one, here's an alternative from

the BBC : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20043225

And a quote from that one: Mr Allen said: "I work with my secondary heads and they say that the raw material they are sent at age 11 is not good enough, therefore I go on to my primary heads and they say children arrive at school unable to read or recognise the difference between a letter or a number, they arrive sometimes in nappies, unable to speak in a sentence."

my bold

I agree wholeheartedly !

I was just trying to make a point about how dismissive some are on here about DM links ...... when it suits them of course :thumbsup:

Most pupils have no concept about either,but their parents do, as is usually obvious at parent evenings.If there is a debt involved with education and it prevents people going to Uni.

Did they really want to go in the first place?

Parents have no trouble(in some cases) encouraging debt for cars but seem a little vexed at debt for enhancement of their children.The only people troubled by debt are those who assume they're not going to achieve some higher paid job, if thats the case then they have a problem with aspirations anyway.

I can only speak from personal experience but - a boy encouraged by parents to be a professional rugby player(for the money and kudos)who then has a change of heart to get a job earning money now.By following his parents career path he left school with nothing and has nothing.

A daughter encouraged by friends(me) to go to Uni,opts for "college" to do a course in the boom industry of sport,before sitting exams she has now dropped out to be an office worker.

They took the EMA whilst studying and then chased the easiest option for cash in the short term. Thats a societal issue not a teacher one.

It's interesting that many parents in the USA start to save for their child's education as soon as possible, whereas here in the UK many parent's seem to wash their hands of taking responsibility for their child's education, especially after their child has reached 16.

Archived