New English and Maths tests to raise teaching standards

I heard on the radio recently that only one in four new teachers stay in the profession beyond four years.

It would be fair to say that the recession has made recuitment and retention a little easier. The job is pretty well paid and fairly secure, which is more than you can say about many jobs these days. In better economic times, it is more difficult to keep talented staff.

This is an interesting article. It appears that a quarter of trainees either don't go into the profession, or are gone by Christmas.

It would be fair to say that the recession has made recuitment and retention a little easier. The job is pretty well paid and fairly secure, which is more than you can say about many jobs these days. In better economic times, it is more difficult to keep talented staff.

This is an interesting article. It appears that a quarter of trainees either don't go into the profession, or are gone by Christmas.

I can understand people opting for jobs they feel are more secure but it's not well paid, in my opinion. Compare it to other professions, Doctors, Lawyers, or even teachers in Germany, and also in terms of the hours that are worked, I think it is very poorly paid for such a demanding role.

They should also abolish the fastrack system where good graduates without a teaching qualification can teach our children, as first of all, they need to learn HOW to teach. Someone who is great at their subject, does not make them a great teacher.

The problem is that the Fast Track teachers have already demonstrated a high level of maths and English (A and A*), yet many new teachers have scraped a C in these subjects.

I was in the top set for maths (out of 7 sets), my teacher scraped a C in her GCSE maths, then didn't study it at all after that. She was teaching kids that were all capable of A & A* grades, but she couldn't understand what she was teaching, so we never finished the course, we were over 6 months behind. The school knew she couldn't teach, but the top set would get over a C anyway, so they didn't care, they concentrated on the ones that were on the borderline of C & D grades so they could get their league table stats up.

Re: C Grades

I thought it had. I know the rule was relaxed a few years ago as the shortage of teachers was so severe, but I’m sure it was reinstated a few years ago.

I wasn't sure but I finally saw an article that confirmed that Gove's people are suggesting a minimum of a B Grade equivalent in English & Maths.

I have alluded to it before but many good teachers do not join or they leave the profession because the current classroom environment does not allow them to teach.

Those who want to learn should be given the opportunity to do so and if that means separating them from those who do not then so be it.

Those who want to learn should be given the opportunity to do so and if that means separating them from those who do not then so be it.

The problem is many children at a young age do want to learn - however with poor teaching at a young age they lose this will to learn. Maths has gone downhill in this country and many teachers of young children cannot do the maths themselves.

The problem is many children at a young age do want to learn - however with poor teaching at a young age they lose this will to learn. Maths has gone downhill in this country and many teachers of young children cannot do the maths themselves.

I would be pleased to learn how you know so much about young children-perhaps you are a kid yourself or a youth worker?The important thing is that those teaching Maths etc. are themselves qualified and confident to teach.May I set you a mathematical question for the benefit of readers?

Archived