20 youths hack boy to death at Victoria Station

It's got nothing to do with youth.

No mob,gang or crowd has any joint morality.Just watch the behaviour of " normal" people in a football crowd,or at a pop concert,as the-doors

open In the January sales,or alongside a prison van when a notorious criminal is taken to court.

Some sort of frenzy or hysteria takes over and people lose control.

Oh yes I get your point, I've been to many sales where people are chased then stabbed to death, and concerts also, please don't tar mob rule with people just getting over excited.:)

Even in Sheffield I've quite commonly heard the threat to 'shank' being used by youngsters. It just seems to have become something that is bandied about and obviously although they're just threats sometimes they will spill over into reality.

I know it's all 'blah, blah, youth of today' but I genuinely don't remember 20 years ago threats to stab being bandied about with such frequency. Also when you hear how many kids carry knives it's shocking. But it seems to be whirlwind effect - some are carrying so others carry to protect themselves from it them more feel like they need to as well then before you know it it's common to carry a knife.

Older people have been complaining about the behaviour of youth for thousands of years, whilst having behaved exactly the same and deeming their own behaviour to have been perfectly ok.

Young people today are;

drinking less

taking less drugs

breeding less

breeding later

committing less crime.

The question we should be asking is;

Why are the majority of the youth today so well behaved compared to their parents in spite of being brought up by a feckless generation?

What I was saying is that mob behaviour is not exclusive to youth,or is more prevalent today than it always has been.

Mobs behave differently to individuals and otherwise inoffensive individuals get caught up in something they hopefully later regret.

Whether it be postal area gangs or football crowds or any boisterous gangs,of any age,the potential is always there.

I thought the gist of what you said earlier was "Some sort of frenzy or hysteria takes over and people lose control", meaning that's it's a spur of the moment hysteria caused by a herd instinct. However this case was a deleiberate and pre-meditated crime as it was organised the previous day. The people organising it were doing so as individuals on their mobiles and computers. They then came together to carry it out. All that is different to your scenario of describing it as something that happened because of a frenzy caused by a crowd.

Older people have been complaining about the behaviour of youth for thousands of years, whilst having behaved exactly the same and deeming their own behaviour to have been perfectly ok.

Young people today are;

drinking less

taking less drugs

breeding less

breeding later

committing less crime.

The question we should be asking is;

Why are the majority of the youth today so well behaved compared to their parents in spite of being brought up by a feckless generation?

I was talking specifically about carrying knives which according to that BBC article research shows they are doing more often.

As far as committing less crime, I'm not convinced that's true and may be a recording issue. There are plenty of things which would have been treated as a crime when I was young which are now written off as anti-social behaviour which massages the figures.

This is like something out of 'Lord of the Flies', and happened in broad daylight.

Why are youth so empowered today?

These are not your typical feral youth, they came from two parent backgrounds and many were ready to go to university.

Subhuman monsters

Even in Sheffield I've quite commonly heard the threat to 'shank' being used by youngsters. It just seems to have become something that is bandied about and obviously although they're just threats sometimes they will spill over into reality.

I know it's all 'blah, blah, youth of today' but I genuinely don't remember 20 years ago threats to stab being bandied about with such frequency. Also when you hear how many kids carry knives it's shocking. But it seems to be whirlwind effect - some are carrying so others carry to protect themselves from it them more feel like they need to as well then before you know it it's common to carry a knife.

This case was definitely about youth because it started with a spat between kids from different schools. The murder was preplanned with those involved arming themselves with knives and in one case a samurai sword. That doesn't happen on the spur of the moment like doors opening to a sale or concert. This was pre-meditated and not linked to a spontaneous herd instinct. I've never been to a concert or sale when a samurai sword and numerous knives have appeared out of nothing when the doors have opened.

53 Years ago I went on my first visit to the UK. I was in a school party which stayed in a school (during the summer holidays) in The Elephant & Castle. There was no shortage of gangs of youths in the local area armed with bike chains, flick knives, brass knuckles and machetes.

Those gangs fought and they maimed each other. When they were caught however, they were birched. Birching was not a 100% successful deterrent, but perhaps it did reduce the violence.

There is nothing new about teenage gang wars.

I do. I remember it even further back with teddy boys carrying flick knives, out looking for a fight. You won't have heard of the Mods & Rockers then ? I won't ever forget the horror of the battle on Brighton beach where frenzied attack wasn't in it - it was outright war.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7502180.stm

But in those days people just used knives to slash each other not to kill one another.

Archived